How to Get Data Using Python in Power BI

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item How to Get Data Using Python in Power BI

• With the understanding that I've never used Power BI, are you suggesting that Power BI cannot get data directly from SQL Server without having to use a language like Python?

If you CAN get the data directly, is there any advantage to using Python to get the data you want instead of, say, calling a stored procedure?  I can see that it might be a little easier to get CSV data from a file but what about getting data from SQL Server?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Jeff Moden wrote:

With the understanding that I've never used Power BI, are you suggesting that Power BI cannot get data directly from SQL Server without having to use a language like Python?

If you CAN get the data directly, is there any advantage to using Python to get the data you want instead of, say, calling a stored procedure?  I can see that it might be a little easier to get CSV data from a file but what about getting data from SQL Server?

@ Daniel Calbimonte,

Any chance that you could provide an answer to the question I asked, repeated as a quote above for your convenience?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• In my opinion, to get data, I would prefer to transform and convert it using a stored procedure or DAX. To extract data, I would use Python, if there are some formulas only included in Python and not available in T-SQL or DAX to convert or transform the data.

• Thank you for the feedback, Daniel.  I appreciate it.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply