How to get Cluster Information

• Hello All,

I am looking for Cluster Information.  We have Cluster setup on production with Active/Passive.  I just want to know, how can I get Cluster information like... is this Active/Passive or Active/Active, how many nodes are there in cluster, what are the virtual names,  I need to get this info by executing any query or sp from Query Analyzer and also I need to know some brief info about NLB clustering.  Our env. has 2 nodes with Active/Passive, installed Windows 2003 EE with SP and it said it's Clustered. When we setup SQL instance, we got the Virtual Server option enabled and we gone from there by selecting virutal server, virtual name, ip address and so on.  But we installed only once on Active node and it copied over to the other node (Passive) and now it is clustered. 

But I read some of the docs says that we need to install SQL Instance on both the nodes.  Here we have Shared Disk Array on SAN L: for Log, R: for Data files, M: for MSDTC and Q: for Quorom drive. 

So how can I get the whole information about the current configuration and setup?

Thanks in Advance - Mubeen

• Have you tried using the Cluster Administrator ?

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Yes, I do.  But I am certainly looking from command prompt or from Query Analyzer.  I don't think we have some, but I am really looking for fail over test.

• When you install SQL Server EE (which is cluster aware) in an active/passive configuration there is not much left to do. If things show up in the Cluster Administrator, then you can fail things over and back from there.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• You can use CLUSTER command from command line.

CLUSTER /CLUSTER:<ServerName) RES - this will give you all the resource detials in the cluster and CLUSTER /CLUSTER:<ServerName) NODE will give you list of NODES and its Status whether it is Up or Not. SRVINFO command line tool will help you to check virtual server name.

Active/Active cluster will have min two nodes and the cluster will be having two SQL instances running on two different nodes. you can find with CLUSTER /CLUSTER:<ServerName) RES command the node name where the instances residing

Eg. eOA & EOB are two A/A cluster, there SQL01 and SQL02 are online on each node.

Example :

Listing status for all available resources:

Resource             Group                Node            Status

-------------------- -------------------- --------------- ------

Disk E:              e0A - SQL_Group  E0A    Online

Disk H:              e0A - SQL_Group  E0A    Online

Disk O:              e0A - SQL_Group  E0A    Online

Disk T:              e0A - SQL_Group  E0A    Online

SQL Network Name (SQL02) eOA- SQL_Group E0A    Online

SQL IP Address 1 (SQL02) eOA- SQL_Group E0A    Online

SQL Server (S01)     eOA- SQL_Group eOA   Online

SQL Server Agent (S01) eOA- SQL_Group eOA   Online

SQL Server Fulltext (S01) eOA- SQL_Group eOA   Online

SQL Network Name (SQL01) EOB- SQL_Group EOB   Online

SQL IP Address 1 (SQL01) EOB- SQL_Group EOB   Online

SQL Server           EOB- SQL_Group EOB   Online

SQL Server Agent     EOB- SQL_Group EOB   Online

SQL Server Fulltext  EOB- SQL_Group EOB   Online

This will help you well.

Jayakumar K

• Thanks for the information.

It shows ones can still learn something new everyday !

• This is in response to Jayakumar Krishnan's post,  you have given an excellent information which exactly I am looking for.  I never saw that info anywhere even in books online, and I strongly believe there will be something from command prompt. And now I also believe that we can do Cluster Administration from command prompt itself...changing password, adding nodes, changing cluster name, changing network info...so on..

It's really a good start for me to explore more things.  Thanks once again Jayakumar.

Mubeen Mohammed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply