How to Flatten Table Resultset

• Lutz,

My apology for posting in the wrong forum and thanks for pointing that out...rookie mistake :-). Also thanks for pointing out that I credited you for Jeff's article; really appreciated and I will give Jeff his due.

Again thanks for your assistance in trying to help me find a solution to my problem.

- cos_ta

MCTS: BI 2008, MCITP: BI 2008
    Stay Thirsty My Friends

• Jeff,

IT WORKS!!!!!! Thanks a million for your assistance; it is very much appreciated. Also my apology for giving Lutz credit for your articles and I want you to know those articles helped me out a lot.

Again thanks for your time.

-costa

MCTS: BI 2008, MCITP: BI 2008
    Stay Thirsty My Friends

• cos_ta393 (8/19/2009)

Jeff,

IT WORKS!!!!!! Thanks a million for your assistance; it is very much appreciated. Also my apology for giving Lutz credit for your articles and I want you to know those articles helped me out a lot.

Again thanks for your time.

-costa

Heh... no problem. Your test data and description made it easy. Well done. No problem about the articles. The key here is that the articles were put out there to help folks without having to reinvent the wheel and Lutz did the right thing (as always) all the way around.

Thanks for the feedback on the purpose. I always like to find out why people need things just to be sure they're getting the right solution. Sometimes folks ask for something and they just don't know there might be other options.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi - Hate to review an old thread after so long, but I need to do something similar. In Jeff Moden post on 8/19/2009 1:19:13 AM he uses a process that is great if you know what values are in the field (Apples, Oranges, Lemons), but what if you don't. What if you need to flatten something indeterminate like an Email field?

• eashurak (3/6/2015)

Hi - Hate to review an old thread after so long, but I need to do something similar. In Jeff Moden post on 8/19/2009 1:19:13 AM he uses a process that is great if you know what values are in the field (Apples, Oranges, Lemons), but what if you don't. What if you need to flatten something indeterminate like an Email field?

Take a look at the article at the first link in my signature line below under "Helpful Links" to post some readily consumable data along with the DDL for a test table and let's get started on your problem.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply