How to find the server name that the instance is running on?...

• I have access to SSMS but not to the server it is run. I need to know the name of the server. Is there a way to find this information within the metadata of the instance?

Thanks

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. ~ Einstein
    select cast (0x5365616E204465596F756E67 as varchar(128))

• Assuming that SSMS is running on your PC and you can connect to the SQL Server instance in question from SSMS, in a query window run this:

select @@servername

• Pretty good assumption based on that I was asking how I could find the information in the metadata of the instance of the server. I should have rephrased my question like this...

I have SSMS installed on my local computer, have login permissions to a remote instance of SQL Server 2005, the network is functioning properly, and I am able to connect to the instance and have sysadmin permissions on the Master as well as all other installed databases. My keyboard is working. I'm sitting at my at my keyboard right now and staring at a new query window after having successfully accessed the instance via SSMS. My question is:

"What should I type in the query window to be able to query against the metadata of the instance to determine what the servername is for that instance of the SQL Install?"

When I know this information I will copy and paste it into the new query window and hit the big green Debug arrow and then read and comprehend the results that will be displayed in the Results pane below.

Thanks

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. ~ Einstein
    select cast (0x5365616E204465596F756E67 as varchar(128))

• seandeyoung-1145978 (11/11/2009)

Pretty good assumption based on that I was asking how I could find the information in the metadata of the instance of the server. I should have rephrased my question like this...

I have SSMS installed on my local computer, have login permissions to a remote instance of SQL Server 2005, the network is functioning properly, and I am able to connect to the instance and have sysadmin permissions on the Master as well as all other installed databases. My keyboard is working. I'm sitting at my at my keyboard right now and staring at a new query window after having successfully accessed the instance via SSMS. My question is:

"What should I type in the query window to be able to query against the metadata of the instance to determine what the servername is for that instance of the SQL Install?"

When I know this information I will copy and paste it into the new query window and hit the big green Debug arrow and then read and comprehend the results that will be displayed in the Results pane below.

Thanks

Sure I am not, if funny or sarcastic you are trying to be. 😉

Welcome, you are.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply