How to export data from cube to CSV file

• James, I think you are right......SSIS packages are quick.....but the MDX query actually needs to be optimized before it is put into action.

@smith..You can try and fetch a small dataset from the cube and not the time for data transfer

Here is the link for your help

http://bhavikmerchant.wordpress.com/2009/09/06/using-mdx-queries-in-ssis-without-openquery/

Regards,

Rafayz

• Also, I do have one tip. If you are not that strong in MDX I would recommend you install ProClarity (If you have an MSDN account) and create your report visually. Once you have the filters, dimensions, measures, etc in place then go up to 'View' and 'MDX Editor'. It will generate the MDX for you and then you can just use this for the 'SQL Command' in the data flow task.

• Dear James,

How do you install ProClarity?? And can you post some links for Beginners MDX Queries?

Regards,

Rafayz

• Why not take a step back and create your SSIS export by querying the tables used to create the cube?

• ... That's the current system....

Customer wants it from CUBES only for some good reason...

I explained the scenario in my first post it self...

Thanks.

• Sorry, it appears Microsoft has removed ProClarity Desktop Professional from it's available MSDN downloads. In this case you should browse the cube via Visual Studio (BIDS) and then run a SQL Profiler trace (logging SSAS commands). This will expose the underlying MDX query that the cube browser is using.

Alternatively you can use Excel pivot tables or Power Pivot instead of Visual Studio if you do not have the project files.

For resources on MDX queries, I would pick up a book on SSAS as it will have everything from the basics right up to some pretty advanced topics.

James

• Dear James,

Many thanks on the useful insights. I am new to SSAS and would like your help in future as well.

Regards,

Rafayz

• For resources on MDX queries, I would pick up a book on SSAS as it will have everything from the basics right up to some pretty advanced topics.

Yup... I baught one 2 days back..

Getting confident on MDX now.. Think I will be able to handle all these in week's time..

Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply