How to Dynamically change what actions a Jobs steps take

• Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this posting but I did not see a forum section listed for JOBS and I bet that the answer to this question would be closer to being associated with SSIS then T-SQL in general.

Is there anyway to dynamically specify at execution time, what actions 1 or more steps in a SQL Server Job take?

For example if I have a job with just 1 step and that step calls the ALTER INDEX REBUILD ... command to rebuild 1 index on a table, is there anyway to have the Job run with different values for 1 or more of the WITH OPTIONS? If I have the job set so that the ONLINE option is set to OFF, is there any way short of setting up a new job to have the Job run with ONLINE set to ON? In other words any way to mimic with a T-SQL job the same purpose that arguments in a Stored Procedure serve?

I know the Job can be set to look up values in a table and use that as an option but is there another way to do this? I'm betting that if its not possible with a Regular (NON-SSIS) based job to do this that SSIS packages will have a way. I'm very much a beginner with SSIS so please excuse any possible dumb questions.

Thanks everyone.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • U may have to mess with system tables here if u want for ex: on success to run something. I havent done anything particularly like this, but it may also turn out to be a limitation and u may have to write your own scheduler and drive things from a config table.

• Thanks for the feedback Vishal.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • AFAIK, you cannot do this with the active job.

What I mean is that you can modify a job step using msdb.dbo.sp_update_jobstep

but those modifications will only get active with the next run.

Keep in mind only members of sysadmin can update a job step owned by another user.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Absolutely, you can use variables to supply values at runtime to your SSIS task. You just have to create the control flow using a combination of control flow tasks and maintenance plan tasks to implement the solution and then create a job to execute the package based on a schedule.

Cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply