How to de-partition a table?

• Could anyone give a detail procedure on how to de-partition a table?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

• SQL Server 2008 Books Online

ALTER PARTITION FUNCTION (Transact-SQL)

Alters a partition function by splitting or merging its boundary values. By executing ALTER PARTITION FUNCTION, one partition of any table or index that uses the partition function can be split into two partitions, or two partitions can be merged into one less partition.

ALTER PARTITION FUNCTION MyPartitionFunctionName() MERGE RANGE ( boundary_value )

• Do you have ideas how to de-partition a table?

• SQL ORACLE (3/7/2011)

Do you have ideas how to de-partition a table?

On the top of my head...

1- Get partitioned table down to just one partition by merging partitions

2- Once you have a single partition partitioned table switch partition to an unpartitioned table of the same layout.

This process will allow you to de-partition doing the less I/O as opposed to the traditional method which will be to copy the data to a non-partitioned table.

Hope this helps.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • SQL ORACLE (3/7/2011)

Do you have ideas how to de-partition a table?

All tables in SQL 2005, 2008, and 2008 R2 have at least one partition, so you cannot de-partition a table, but you can merge it to a single partition.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply