How to create/edit RDLC SSRS Reports

• I'm relly hoping someone here has had to work with the RDLC version of SSRS reports because Ive had no luck on the MSDN forums with this.  Its easy and I mean EASY to find everything about creating rdl SSRS report files but when it comes to the rdlc variant its like trying to find a relic from the early dawn of man.

The software we have upgrade d to only works with rdlc SSRS reports and so I'm trying to find out how you create one of these.  I can edit an existing rdlc file in Visual Studio (version 2015) but I can;t find how you create one.  Every option is for rdl only.  I've found a number of posts on message boards with users asking this same question and a few have mentioned that you need to download and install the Report Viewer control which I have done but after doing that the only choice you have for a new SSRS sport is rdl.

Ideas? I'm not married to using VS 2015 to do this but I dont believe the SQL Data Tools is able to create the  RDLC version of SSRS reports either.  The only requirement is I can;t spend money on a new piece of software just to do this unless its reasonably priced and it has to work with Windows 7.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • There are quite a few examples of creating RDLC reports - take a look at these walk throughs and see if they help:

How to create RDLC report step by step in ASP.Net using C# and VB.Net

Creating an RDLC report in Asp.Net

Sue

• Thank you for taking the time to post this but they still don;t help.  The second link doesn't work.  The first does work but the directions seem to start after a project has already been setup so I don't know where to start.   If i create a  REPORTING SERVICE project(Under TEMPLATES>>BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE) in VS2015 no matter what if I use the wizard or the plain project when I go to add an item the only choice fro an SSRS report is RDL.

If I need to setup a VB of C## project it doesn't say that in those directions.  I looked thru the various projects under VB and none hint at being anything related to SSRS or reporting in general.

I do know that you have to have installed the Microsoft Report Control Viewer which I did and I've even checked my INSTALLED APPS to make sure its listed and shows as having installed so I'm at a loss to figure out how to make use of it in VS2015.

NOTE: My end goal for this is to create an RDLC file that is used in another software system that makes use of RDLC based reports for SSRS so what i do in VS 2015 it needs to be such that I can use the rdcl report elsewhere. I hope that makes sense.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • Not really sure what doesn't work on the second link means - the link works so I would guess you mean it doesn't apply. On the first link, there is a download tab where you can download the project which you may want to try

Try creating a reporting project under VB or C#. If you don't have that , refer to the following post:

Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise - Reporting functionality missing?

Sue

• Is this what you are looking for?

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ProBITools.MicrosoftRdlcReportDesignerforVisualStudio-18001&ssr=false#qna

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks to everyone that chimed in to help.  I finally figured out the missing piece.  Hindsight is always easier then foresight so this now may sound obvious but what was missing from every SSRS tutorial I've come across is that if your creating  rdlc style SSRS reports then (at least in Visual Studio) you can't use any of the projects in Business Intelligence in the Report section.  You have to create a project for VB or C# and it doesn't seem to matter what kind (i.e. I chose windows forms under VB)  but you have to create one of those and then you can select an RDLC report from ADD ITEM.

Maybe this logic makes sense to developers but from the perspective of someone who's coming from Crystal Reports + SQL Server to SSRS this kind of logic seems very azz backwards.  SSRS is or at least in the past has been a very poor substitute for Crystal with it being unable to handle many custom reporting task that were child play in Crystal. Its been a few SSRS updates since I last took a stab at trying to use SSRS instead of Crystal but it was really bad to use when I last tried.  Does SSRS still require you to use a sub-report if you have a field of text that can wrap multiple lines because its large text such as a lengthy description?  Is SSRS still like Superman on kryptonite when it comes to creating letter style reports?

Thanks again to everyone, I am grateful.  My ansgt/frustration is solely with how difficult Microsoft has made SSRS to work with.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply