How to count Multiple columns

• Hi,

I need to count Multiple columns from one table and display the count in one column

I'm triying to use a Case Statement to return the count but no luck so far, please help

I basically need to display total approvers of each requisition it can be 5 or less

Here's the query I'm struggling with:

Select intRequisitionId,

SUM(Case When Convert(varchar, dteFirstApproverDateNotified, 103) Is Not Null

OR Convert(varchar, dteSecondApproverDateNotified, 103) Is Not Null

OR Convert(varchar, dteThirdApproverDateNotified, 103) Is Not Null

OR Convert(varchar, dteFourthApproverDateNotified, 103) Is Not Null

OR Convert(varchar, dteFifthApproverDateNotified, 103) Is Not Null

Then ????? Else 0 End) as TotalApprovers

From dtlRequisition

Group By intRequisitionId

Thanks in advance

• If replacing the ???? with 1 doesn't work then I think you need to explain this better. Also do you need the CONVERTs?

Regards

Daniel

• I think from your query i understood that you need the count of each column. See below query that gives total count. I can't run on my DB since i dont have the data but it should work.

Select intRequisitionId,

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteFirstApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) AS column1,

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteSecondApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) AS column2,

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteThirdApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) AS column3,

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteFourthApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) AS column4,

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteFifthApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) AS column5

From dtlRequisition

• I had 1 where i have the question marks, but i want to display the actual count not the no.1 where the 'notified date' is not null

for all the approvers.

The converts don't really matter its just for grouping purposes

Or is there another way of achieving this?

• Hi, This works perfectly, but its not How I need to display the data:

Select intRequisitionId,

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteFirstApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) AS column1,

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteSecondApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) AS column2,

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteThirdApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) AS column3,

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteFourthApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) AS column4,

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteFifthApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) AS column5

From dtlRequisition

--This is the resultSet from the above query

intRequisitionIdcolumn1column2column3column4column5

--What I need is one Column with the Total Count

e.g.

intRequisitionIdTotal

Thanks

• Teee (10/26/2011)

Hi, This works perfectly, but its not How I need to display the data:

Select intRequisitionId,

From dtlRequisition

--This is the resultSet from the above query

intRequisitionIdcolumn1column2column3column4column5

--What I need is one Column with the Total Count

e.g.

intRequisitionIdTotal

Thanks

SELECT intRequisitionId, column1+column2+column3+column4+column5 AS total

FROM (SELECT intRequisitionId,

FROM dtlRequisition

GROUP BY intRequisitionId) a

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• I think Cadavre has given the right tip for you.

That should work.

🙂

• This should be about right but I can't run it assuming that if ANY of the columns are null the the value of the row is 0.

---------------------

Select

intRequisitionId,

Sum(

Case

When dteFirstApproverDateNotified Is Null Then 0

Else 1

End

&

Case

When dteSecondApproverDateNotified Is Null Then 0

Else 1

End

&

Case

When dteThirdApproverDateNotified Is Null Then 0

Else 1

End

&

Case

When dteFourthApproverDateNotified Is Null Then 0

Else 1

End

&

Case

When dteFifthApproverDateNotified Is Null Then 0

Else 1

End

) As TotalApprovers

From

dtlRequisition

Group By

intRequisitionId

-------------------------------------

• It works, Thank you very much!!! 🙂

• Daniel your statement doesn't work because in case statement it only takes 1 value as output eventhough it matches the rest.

• You can use below to avoid inner query.

Select intRequisitionId,

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteFirstApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) +

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteSecondApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) +

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteThirdApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) +

SUM(CASE WHEN ISNULL(dteFourthApproverDateNotified,0) <> 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) AS Total

From dtlRequisition

• The SQL works fine. There is only one output from each of the CASE statements which are combined into one result with the bitwise AND (&) operator. The result will be 1 only if ALL the CASE statements return 1. Summing up the result will give you a count of all the records which don't have a null value in any of the columns. Whether this is what was required in the origional post is another matter.

• Cadavre's query worked perfectly.

Thanks 🙂

• Daniel Forrester 123 I ran your query as well, but it returned 0's for all rows.

• Hi Teee, you can either use my Query from prev post to avoid inner statement OR

You can use Daniel's Query replace & with + that works perfectly.

Sorry Daniel - your Query is also right but it does give same output as my Query. I am using ISNULL that is more standard way of writing isn't it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply