how to Copy .bak file from S3 to RDS - Amazon Cloud

• Greetings -

I am trying to setup a DR solution.. I was able to copy .bak file to S3 bucket in AWS using Powershell. I now need to copy the .bak file in the S3 bucket to the RDS instance I created, running in Windows, to restore the database.

The question I have is how to copy the .bak file to the RDS instance to restore? Can you please guide me here.

• After doing much reading, I learned that I am unable to load the backup file to RDS instance since backup and restore are not supported. A paid instance is needed to do my work. If anyone has any advise, please let me know. Thank you.

• Does this help: http://www.somacon.com/p586.php

• I read that article and I can't help but think that the cloud is becoming more like smoke and mirrors. Now you see it, now you don't.;-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve and Jeff -

Thank you both for your input. The way I did the work is by creating an Amazon S3 storage in AWS and created an Amazon EC2 (same way the link recommended), but I used Powershell to first write the .bak file to S3 bucket then upload it to the EC2 instance. I used Write-S3Object and Copy-S3Object commands to do the work. I did similar testing to copy .bak file to Azure, I first created a blob and used AzCopy PS command to upload/download the file. Both file uploads were successful.

I recommend using this method for DR, since the cost you pay is only for reserving a storage area.

• lsalih (7/5/2016)

Steve and Jeff -

Thank you both for your input. The way I did the work is by creating an Amazon S3 storage in AWS and created an Amazon EC2 (same way the link recommended), but I used Powershell to first write the .bak file to S3 bucket then upload it to the EC2 instance. I used Write-S3Object and Copy-S3Object commands to do the work. I did similar testing to copy .bak file to Azure, I first created a blob and used AzCopy PS command to upload/download the file. Both file uploads were successful.

I recommend using this method for DR, since the cost you pay is only for reserving a storage area.

Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post your solution!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Import data into and export data from your DB instance running Amazon RDS for Microsoft SQL Server by using native backup files talktowendys.

• Hi Ral1l - Thank you for your reply. We have SQL running on EC2 instance and not Amazon RDS, there are limitations with running on RDS. Thank you.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply