Will the following sequence work with your magic command in place of the 'alter database' command?
1. create a new database COLL with collation Latin1_General_BIN
2. create a table and load a row of data:
create table t1(c1 varchar(10))
insert into t1 values('row1')
3. change the collation of the database
alter database COLL collate Latin1_General_CI_AS
4. create another table and load a row of data:
create table t2(c2 varchar(10))
insert into t2 values('row1')
5. the following query will fail:
join t2 on t1.c1=t2.c2
the error message being:
Msg 468, Level 16, State 9, Line 3
Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "Latin1_General_CI_AS" and "Latin1_General_BIN" in the equal to operation.