How to change SQL Server Collation

• murali100 (11/7/2010)

can someone tell what is wrong?

Without you telling us what the error was, no.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Gail Shaw: here is the error message:

Msg 5075, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The object 'ufnLeadingZeros' is dependent on database collation. The database collation cannot be changed if a schema-bound object depends on it. Remove the dependencies on the database collation and then retry the operation.

The object 'CK_ProductReview_Rating' is dependent on database collation. The database collation cannot be changed if a schema-bound object depends on it. Remove the dependencies on the database collation and then retry the operation.

The object 'CK_TransactionHistory_TransactionType' is dependent on database collation. The database collation cannot be changed if a schema-bound object depends on it. Remove the dependencies on the database collation and then retry the operation.

The object 'CK_ProductVendor_AverageLeadTime' is dependent on database collation. The database collation cannot be changed if a schema-bound object depends on it. Remove the dependencies on the database collation and then retry the operation.

• The errors are pretty clear. You've got objects that depend on the collation. You cannot change the collation without removing the objects first. Where's the problem?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Yes. I have AdventureWorks database and I want to change the collation for this database. what is the procedure? I am kinda new to SQL Server.

• You need to drop the four objects listed in the error messages. Query sys.objects to see what they are, then look up in Books Online how to script and drop them. Then change the collation. Then recreate the objects.

Gail Shaw

• as a matter of fact u can change it

• I have AdventureWorks database. I want to change its collation to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

I am trying with this command:

ALTER DATABASE AdventureWorks COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

getting hell lot of error message: some of them -->

The object 'ufnLeadingZeros' is dependent on database collation. The database collation cannot be changed if a schema-bound object depends on it. Remove the dependencies on the database collation and then retry the operation.

The object 'CK_ProductReview_Rating' is dependent on database collation. The database collation cannot be changed if a schema-bound object depends on it. Remove the dependencies on the database collation and then retry the operation.

The object 'CK_TransactionHistory_TransactionType' is dependent on database collation. The database collation cannot be changed if a schema-bound object depends on it. Remove the dependencies on the database collation and then retry the operation.

The object 'CK_ProductVendor_AverageLeadTime' is dependent on database collation. The database collation cannot be changed if a schema-bound object depends on it. Remove the dependencies on the database collation and then retry the operation.

The object 'CK_TransactionHistoryArchive_TransactionType' is dependent on database collation. The database collation cannot be changed if a schema-bound object depends on it. Remove the dependencies on the database collation and then retry the operation.

any help please?

• Hello Azad--- can you tell me what is the procedure to do it? Thanks

• Hello Gail,

There are not just these 4 objects. I could not paste the entire error message here. There are about 100 objects are there with this same error message.

• Then you need to script and drop all of them, change the collation and recreate them

Gail Shaw

• hi,

can u please sen send me ur email-id

• Stop the running server.

2. Open a Command Prompt and go to the SQL Server directory.

3. Type:

sqlservr -m -T4022 -T3659 -q"new collation"

Example: sqlservr -m -T4022 -T3659 -q"latin1_general_ci_ai"

I don't know How, but it works just fine. Easy, clean, fast.

Anybody knows how this command works?

I think that it is a good case for an article.

• yes ,

mine was the same solution.

but q is a undocumented start-up parameter.i tried this with sql 2008.it gives me an error.i think it has been removed from sql server.

• eduardo.pin (11/17/2010)

Stop the running server.

2. Open a Command Prompt and go to the SQL Server directory.

3. Type:

sqlservr -m -T4022 -T3659 -q"new collation"

Example: sqlservr -m -T4022 -T3659 -q"latin1_general_ci_ai"

I think that it is a good case for an article.

I think this only changes the collation of the server instance. And I don't see in your example where you are telling it which instance you want this for. In any case, I tried it on SS2005 and I get a very ugly error message.

To change the collation of a database, I agree with Gail, there is only one way: the hard way. I had to do it once:

1. delete constraints and indexes,

2. issue the magic command 'alter database NAME collate ...'

3. alter the varchar columns of all tables

4. recreate the constraints and indexes

Step 3 can be fairly easily automated by generating a script that reads syscolumns/sysobjects.

For steps 1 and 4 I used Management Studio and manually did a

a. Script Index as/CREATE to/DROP to

b. Script Constraint as/CREATE to/DROP to

for each Index and Constraint after having examined if they involve a varchar column.

• eduardo.pin (11/17/2010)

You're running and recommending commands that you don't know what they do?

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply