How to change datasource on multiple reports deployed to power bi report server

• Each query in power bi report has it's own connection string.

If something wrong with the server, I'd have

1. open a report in power bi designer
    2. change server name for each query
    3. redeploy report                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I have around 50 reports. So if the main reporting server is down, I'd need to go to each of this report and do those steps. That can take days.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Is there are a one single place that I would be able to change connection string and source them from whatever server I need?
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • I don't know much about PowerBI but the last answer at the following link appears to be the ticket.  You'll need to change all the reports once but then you'll be good to go forever after that.  Basically, the create an ODBC DSN and then point to that as the server name.  If the underlying server for the connection changes, then you just change the connection and you're good to go for everything that's pointing at the ODBC connection.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/specifying-linked-server/m-p/294416

It does seem that there should be a way to change all of the existing reports in one swell-foop but perhaps not.  Like I said, I know very little about PowerBI and, to be honest, have never actually used it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply