How to Append value to an existing column value

• Table - Batch

BatchNo BatchName PublicationList

-------- ----------- --------------

1 Morning 23,53,23,34,36,56,67,78,232

2 Afternoon 98,75,55,32,73,456,865

3 Evening 5,6,8,3,778,434,43,788

All the publications are separated by commas. So If I want to add another publication, I just need to append the already existing value by adding a comma and then the value.

I want to add another publication 999 into Morning batch PublicationList - BatchNo 1.

Is it possible to append the value using Insert or any other method.

Could anyone please help me in this regard ?

Many thanks in advance,

Ron.

• update Batch

set PublicationList = PublicationList + ', 999'

where BatchNo = 1;

• Appreciate your quick response.

Well I would like to add only if that is not present already. If it already exists, then I won't.

So how can I do that.

Many thanks n Regards,

Ron.

• May I just observe that you have a rather poor database design there and that you may want to consider normalising it. It would certainly make adding or removing a publication a great deal easier if the publications were stored in a separate table.

Perhaps something like

Batch (BatchNo, BatchName)

BatchPublication (BatchNo, PublicationNo)

That would mean that adding a publication to a batch is just an insert into the child table. You could put the primary key on the two columns, ensuring that you could not get a publication twice in the same batch.

It would also mean that removing a publication from a batch would just be a delete statement, instead of the rather complex and messy string manipulation currently required.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Agree with Gail 100%.

but here is a quick solution to your problem...

• ... hit post too soon 🙂

if object_id('proc_update_batch') is not null drop procedure proc_update_batch;

go

create procedure proc_update_batch

@batchNo int,

@value varchar(10)

as

declare @check char,

@startPos int,

@endPos int,

@PublicationList varchar(1000)

set @PublicationList = (select PublicationList from batch where batchno = @batchNo)

set @endPos = CHARINDEX ( ',', @PublicationList)

set @startPos = 1

while @endPos <> 0

begin

if substring(@PublicationList, @startPos, @endPos - @startPos) = @value

set @check = 'Y'

set @startPos = @endPos + 1

set @endPos = CHARINDEX ( ',', @PublicationList, @endPos + 1)

end

if substring(@PublicationList, @startPos, len(@PublicationList) - @startPos+1) = @value

set @check = 'Y'

if isnull(@check, 'N') <> 'Y'

begin

begin transaction

update Batch

set PublicationList = PublicationList + ',' + @value

where batchno = @batchno

commit;

end

go

exec proc_update_batch 1,'999'

select * from batch

• Ronvy - Friday, August 8, 2008 7:04 AM

Table - BatchBatchNo BatchName PublicationList-------- ----------- --------------1 Morning 23,53,23,34,36,56,67,78,2322 Afternoon 98,75,55,32,73,456,8653 Evening 5,6,8,3,778,434,43,788All the publications are separated by commas. So If I want to add another publication, I just need to append the already existing value by adding a comma and then the value.I want to add another publication 999 into Morning batch PublicationList - BatchNo 1.Is it possible to append the value using Insert or any other method.Could anyone please help me in this regard ?Many thanks in advance,Ron.

vadim.a.maslov - Friday, August 8, 2008 7:19 AM

update Batchset PublicationList = PublicationList + ', 999'where BatchNo = 1;

Hi Vadim...    i was looking for such possibilities and basically you showed that we can achieve that very simply... thanks a lot

Steph

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply