How much do you earn?

• Yes. Those are the companies that believe that you (as the lone DBA) will have plenty of free time.

In Texas the salary range is anywhere between $40K - $110K. If you can find a job, that is. I have seen "serious" ads for a laundry list of skills (DBA being just another one) and then finishing with "$45K - $50K a year (depending on skill level)".

Those are the same companies that give you "comp time" instead of OT. And they never find the time for you to use the comp time. Laughing, funny how that works.

I asked if I worked 65 hours one week would I be asked to work less the next week. "Oh, we would give you comp time." "That's nice. What does that mean?" "Compensation time. You can take a couple of hours off on a Friday for example." "A couple of hours? I work 25 extra hours and I might get 2 hours off?" "We don't give a 1-1 deal. You might work out a better deal after six months." "Thanks. I'll call you."

Patrick

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• In the UK most jobs dba jobs are advertised between £25000 and £60000, with some jobs in the banking sector (London) paying more (or towards the top end).

Saw one on http://www.jobserve.com today for 'up to 90K' (US investment bank requires a Senior DBA - Architect) but that is the exception. I would guess that 30K-50K may be average at the moment

(around $1.70 to the £1)

Steven

• quote:

Yes. Those are the companies that believe that you (as the lone DBA) will have plenty of free time.

In Texas the salary range is anywhere between $40K - $110K. If you can find a job, that is. I have seen "serious" ads for a laundry list of skills (DBA being just another one) and then finishing with "$45K - $50K a year (depending on skill level)".

Those are the same companies that give you "comp time" instead of OT. And they never find the time for you to use the comp time. Laughing, funny how that works.

I asked if I worked 65 hours one week would I be asked to work less the next week. "Oh, we would give you comp time." "That's nice. What does that mean?" "Compensation time. You can take a couple of hours off on a Friday for example." "A couple of hours? I work 25 extra hours and I might get 2 hours off?" "We don't give a 1-1 deal. You might work out a better deal after six months." "Thanks. I'll call you."

Patrick

I will say this, if you are a programmer they are now classifying that in most all cases as a non-exempt job. In fact Bank of America or some other bank was sued over this fact along with some other misclassification. The case started in California and there was a Fortune Magazine article proving the conditions required to meet Exempt status did not apply to programming.

Also, a big to do getting a lot of companies in trouble is it is illegal to use comp time if you are non-exempt (unless I got them backwards non-exempt is hourly) unless it is in the same pay week (40 hours then it is all overtime period and they cannot do otherwise). If you are hourly in the US and your company is using Comp Time as opposed to overtime (even if it you agree to it) they are breaking the law and can be sued (even both those who asked for comp time instead).

About 4 months ago they reclassified me as hourly and gave me 2 years back overtime (figure given by the government).

As for CompTime with Salary (exempt). It too does not exist, the law there just states you are salary based on a certain condition (has to do with ability to make decissions without concern for permission). If you work 40 or 100 or 2 as a salary person you get a set payment.

Just FYI.

• Contracting rates in the UK vary quite a bit as well, the lowest i've seen is £15 per hour, the highest around about £80 per hour. Quite a few of the these jobs require exactly the same skills, its quite often down to the budget the company can find, and how flexible you are on your rate.

I've also noticed that the shopping list of skills they are looking for is ever growing, SQL Server DBA, with a bit of Oracle, Application development, web development thrown in for good measure. Its certainly a buyers market at the moment.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

• How about Tax considerations?

Here in Italy we have (right now) around 4 types of contracts where the tax levels are very different. With all the different laws concerning what you have to/should pay it makes it even more of a challange to know what your Real salary is. We even have one type of contract where the salary is specified in Net income and the Company 'decides' how much tax you should pay.

I have heard a lot of people talking about the wonderful US where taxes are very low but noone that I know seems to actually know HOW much you have to pay in tax. So guys, how high is the Tax in America?

Just for reference; I pay around 39% of what I earn here in Italy and in Sweden (I know because I am swedish) I would pay around 46% tax.

Regards, Hans!

• Well in the UK there are two ways of doing it. Either you set up a limited company, and pay accountants etc do all the paperwork for you, or you go through an umbrella company who take a small cut of your rate but handle everyhting for you, works out much cheaper. As for tax, well, that depends on how well you manage things. I suppose, after tax and paying the umbrella company, i get to keep in the region of 80% of my earnings.

• bond007:

That sounds highly interesting. 80% is a very high figure and to me I would acquire it only in my dreams. Do you know anything more abour these umbrella companies?

• quote:

How about Tax considerations?

Here in Italy we have (right now) around 4 types of contracts where the tax levels are very different. With all the different laws concerning what you have to/should pay it makes it even more of a challange to know what your Real salary is. We even have one type of contract where the salary is specified in Net income and the Company 'decides' how much tax you should pay.

I have heard a lot of people talking about the wonderful US where taxes are very low but noone that I know seems to actually know HOW much you have to pay in tax. So guys, how high is the Tax in America?

Just for reference; I pay around 39% of what I earn here in Italy and in Sweden (I know because I am swedish) I would pay around 46% tax.

Regards, Hans!

Tax has been in the past roughly 28% total for me, I think 23-25% was Federal the other 3-5% is state and local. But with the tax cut Federal is going to 17% for me and as long as state and local don't decide to pick my pockets on the other side.

• hanslindgren:

It is good i agree. I can give you the link for the company i use, i don't know if they operate outside the UK but it might point you in the right direction. Basically these umbrella companies were setup because of new tax laws in the UK relating to one person becoming a limited company, its called IR35 and it hit the contracting market fairly hard. Anyway, this is the link.

www.prosperity4.com

• quote:

Well in the UK there are two ways of doing it. Either you set up a limited company, and pay accountants etc do all the paperwork for you, or you go through an umbrella company who take a small cut of your rate but handle everyhting for you, works out much cheaper. As for tax, well, that depends on how well you manage things. I suppose, after tax and paying the umbrella company, i get to keep in the region of 80% of my earnings.

I thought the IR35 stuff closed that loophole ?

Steve Brett

cheers

dbgeezer

• quote:

hanslindgren:

It is good i agree. I can give you the link for the company i use, i don't know if they operate outside the UK but it might point you in the right direction. Basically these umbrella companies were setup because of new tax laws in the UK relating to one person becoming a limited company, its called IR35 and it hit the contracting market fairly hard. Anyway, this is the link.

www.prosperity4.com

<snip>

The above Net Monthly Salary is how much you could potentially net as a Prosperity4 employee. Join today or phone ********** direct for your personalised calculator and start saving time and money.

*Based on an employee utilising Prosperity4's Inland Revenue approved expense policy to the full.

</snip>

Is this difficult to implement then ?

Steve Brett

Edited by - stevebrett on 06/19/2003 06:12:15 AM

cheers

dbgeezer

• I thought Italy was uspposed to be a low taxed country in the EU, but it seems now that I was quite mistaken by that information. 17% in the USA and around 20% in the UK, what was people thinking when they settled Italy and Sweden? 😉

I will definitly look into these 'umbrella' companies and see if they can do something for these horrendous tax situations... :/

Regards, Hans!

P.S Thanks for the link bond007! Unfortunatly they do not seem to serve people working outside UK, but I sent them an e-mail requesting some clarifications...

• Steve.

IR35 did close the loop hole for one man limited companies. But going through a company such as this you can still be paid a low salary but then get bonuses etc, plus off-set expenses against tax, claim business milage etc and as it says, its all approved by the Inland Revenue. Its really simple to sort out as well, and they handle the accounts side of things plus provide employee liability insurance, long term sickness cover plus more.

Blimey, i should be a saleman for them !

• As a DBA, bugger all.

I am a developer, title Software Engineer (fancy or retro eh!). But when our full time DBA left I had to pick up the pieces and carry on otherwise no one would. Did try once (tongue in cheek) to get extra renumeration but went down like lead balloon, C'est La Vie.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Personally, I'd recommend everyone to focus more on the business side. From a compensation standpoint, it is a lot higher ($100US to $200US annual)

It's great to know all the technical stuff cold, but I think it is more important to how to locate the solution fast - just too much to know. Know the 20% that is used 80% of the time, and look the balance up for casual reading, or when you need an answer.

Business wants and needs solutions to their business problems. Someone who can work the business side and translate that into a sound technical solution. And this is an art that businesses will pay a lot for if you are good.

I'm often in meetings with senior mgmt, and they don't care about SPID's, locks etc. They want business solutions. That's what I do.

Also, I strickly stick to SQL Server. it is easier to get work than if I worked the Oracle side. Usually, with Oracle, a company will want to hire a big consulting firm, not an independent like me.

learn the business side, learn to translate, and increase your salary.

What's the business problem you're trying to solve?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply