How much do you earn?

• quote:

How about Tax considerations?

Here in Italy we have (right now) around 4 types of contracts where the tax levels are very different. With all the different laws concerning what you have to/should pay it makes it even more of a challange to know what your Real salary is. We even have one type of contract where the salary is specified in Net income and the Company 'decides' how much tax you should pay.

I have heard a lot of people talking about the wonderful US where taxes are very low but noone that I know seems to actually know HOW much you have to pay in tax. So guys, how high is the Tax in America?

Just for reference; I pay around 39% of what I earn here in Italy and in Sweden (I know because I am swedish) I would pay around 46% tax.

Regards, Hans!

Larry Ansley

Atlanta, GA

Larry Ansley
    Atlanta, GA

• quote:

They say you should add an addition 20% of your net salary to it's self to get your real salary, and with those numbers I would not be able to take less than $100/hour to make it worth my while. That is considering that I would only find work for 2/3s of the year.

As a former business owner I can tell you the 20% varies. It is really slightly over 7% for the company portion of social security taxes plus medical insurance premiums, roughly $200 - $600 per month depending on age, dependents, and insurance benefits. The rest (unemployment insurance premiums, sick leave, vacation) is an apples to oranges comparison. Compare your annual income as self employed (adjusted for soc.sec. and med.ins.) versus company employee for a real assessment.

Larry Ansley

Atlanta, GA

Larry Ansley
    Atlanta, GA

• You know I do agree that attractiveness as a woman helps (believe me, I'm no dog). However, I think being overly attractive can get in the way of being taken seriously. I know that first hand. Here's what the president of a local consulting group said to me just last week, "...I was perfectly at ease after I got over the shock of hearing such techno-babble from such a beautiful woman!"

Even so, I will never complain about what the Lord gave me. I'm a very lucky person. I just wish my pay were equal to what the other managers' (all male) are making in the company I work for. Again, I don't want to make this into an equal rights forum. I'm not into feminism. I think it's a turn off attitude. That's probably due to the fact that I was raised with three brothers who treated me like another one of the guys.

• DALEC,

I'm sorry that you were treated that way. I can't figure out why some men seem to think women are unable to be as smart as or smarter than a man. My wife is much smarter than me and made lots more money than I do (she was not in the IT career). Here is my basic prayer each night...

God please guide us all to treating each other equally. Let us not allow race, gender, or anything else inappropriately influence our opinion of another.

Maybe one day....

Okay I'm off my soapbox.

-SQLBill

• Dale,

quote:

Here's what the president of a local consulting group said to me just last week, "...I was perfectly at ease after I got over the shock of hearing such techno-babble from such a beautiful woman!"

Sometimes men say such things as a genuine compliment. Sometimes they say them as a "come-on". Sometimes just because they are stupid and arrogant. Perhaps this guy was only trying to be nice.

From my own perspective, when a woman is attractive, it's difficult to ignore, though it implies no less respect (from me).

By the way, I checked your profile. You have a lot of smarts for one so attractive. Of course saying this, doesn't usually go over very well.

Anyway, good luck.

Larry Ansley

Atlanta, GA

Larry Ansley
    Atlanta, GA

• Larry, you are right. I was being sarcastic. I did run my own business last year and it did fail, and the breaks were no where near enough to salvage anything.

As for the women/men salary comp. My wife makes much more than I do. She's a lawyer. She, too, runs into the "gorgeous women shouldn't say that" routine. She ignores them and sends them a bill.

Patrick

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• Thanks for the compliment. You know, he was just being very nice in this case. I do believe my financial situation will change when this economy and job market starts going uphill. I live where Kennedy Space Center is located and jobs are fiercely competitive. IT jobs are non-existent in the Want Ads. It's kind of ironic too because my hubby is a Mission Manager for NASA and it's damn near impossible for him to help me get a job up there. I even worked for McDonnell Douglas Space Systems (now Boeing) for three and half years. Boeing has tried to rehire me twice and both time fell through because of budget SNAFUs.

• Aargh, it is happening again...bear with a non-insider

quote:

...because of budget SNAFUs...

that's an acronym I don't know.

To be honest, this is also a slang word, right?

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• Sorry about that. The dictionary says:

sna·fu (sn-f) Slang

n., pl. sna·fus.

A chaotic or confused situation.

adj.

In a state of confusion or chaos.

v. tr. sna·fued, sna·fu·ing, sna·fus.

To make confused or chaotic.

But in the military (which is where it really originated), it is an acronym for:

Situation Normal, All F***** Up

It goes right along with FUBAR:

F***** Up Beyond All Recognition

• quote:

As a former business owner I can tell you the 20% varies. It is really slightly over 7% for the company portion of social security taxes plus medical insurance premiums, roughly $200 - $600 per month depending on age, dependents, and insurance benefits. The rest (unemployment insurance premiums, sick leave, vacation) is an apples to oranges comparison. Compare your annual income as self employed (adjusted for soc.sec. and med.ins.) versus company employee for a real assessment.

Larry Ansley

Atlanta, GA

Thanks for the info Larry. So were you in Atlanta when you had your on consulting business? If it was a consulting business that is. Atlanta rates and Birmingham rates should be right in line with each other. The salaries certainly are. I've been looking at dice.com every day and to be honest I am shocked by the rates these people are listing; $35-55/hour, $50-65/hour. This cannot be the going rate, can it? Hell, at my present job I make over $40/hour; if you devide my salary up into hours that is.

Back in the boom of the late 90s I was working as a consultant for a software company. They hired me out to their clients and I worked for them, complete with full benefits. They charge $150-200/hour for my DBA services back then. I just find it hard to believe that the market could have slipped down to one third of the going rate six years ago!

Thanks Again;

Trea Johnson

Birmingham, AL

• quote:

I just find it hard to believe that the market could have slipped down to one third of the going rate six years ago!

Hungry, out of work developers offer themselves at desparately low rates, before giving up and changing careers.

I think the government should implement rate subsidies for developers, just like crop subsidies for farmers. They could pay unemployed developers not to develop to support rates. Then we could all relax while sitting on our verandas, sipping iced tea, looking out over our idle fields of code.

Course, they might just shoot us instead like excess cattle, or stick us in a warehouse for years like cheese. I guess I better be careful what I wish for.

Maybe we should start a rumor about the Y2004 bug (remember Y2K) to stimulate computer sales and development.

Larry Ansley

Atlanta, GA

Larry Ansley
    Atlanta, GA

• quote:

I think the government should implement rate subsidies for developers, just like crop subsidies for farmers. They could pay unemployed developers not to develop to support rates. Then we could all relax while sitting on our verandas, sipping iced tea, looking out over our idle fields of code.

... Maybe we should start a rumor about the Y2004 bug (remember Y2K) to stimulate computer sales and development.

Man, Larry, I like the way you think! I'm in on both counts!

• Hi Dale,

quote:

But in the military (which is where it really originated), it is an acronym for:

Situation Normal, All F***** Up

It goes right along with FUBAR:

F***** Up Beyond All Recognition

thanks, Just got into office today. Your post was the first I had a closer look at.

SNAFU will definitely be one of my favorites from now on

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Hi all,

tired of asking frequently what is this acronym, what means that I've found this link

http://www.acronymfinder.com

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Interesting topic!

Well the UK market depends a lot on where you are. You can earn between £25k & £60k a year in London. The further north you go, the salary drops and mostly I have seen top ends of £30k. I'm on just under £30k which is about $50 or 43,000 euro's! Most of them that I see are in the £25-£40k range. It's an ok salary, unless of course you live alone

Intersting to see salaries of places like the US and especially Australia as they are places I am considering moving to...well when I have a bit more experience!

Clive Strong

cstrong@kingston-technology.com

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply