How Long is Too Long?

• Aaron N. Cutshall - Friday, March 15, 2019 8:58 AM

Marcus Tullius Cicero once said, "If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." On the face of it, this comment may not make much sense until you realize that it actually takes more time and effort to write/prepare something in a succinct, concise manner without impacting delivery. The subject matter being presented will determine the presentation length. I've attended presentations where 30 minutes was way too long for the subject whereas others that were 60 minutes seemed way too brief.

This is mostly how I feel, though I think varying the depth of the subject (wide, shallow or deep) can help fit things in. I would also say many presenters do this as a side item from their regular work and don't speak every month. It becomes hard to jump in and start going when you speak a few times a year. I know I struggle the first talk I give after a layoff.

A 60-75 minute talk allows me to get the talk going with some background, which helps me as much as some in the audience. I like that, and really prefer the 75 minute talk/15 minute break format.

A 45-50 minute talk is fine, and I'm willing to do them, but I'm also  not thrilled with needing two versions of talks for different events.

• Rod at work - Friday, March 15, 2019 8:20 AM

Personally, I just wish I could attend a conference!!! My current employer doesn't allow anyone to go anywhere. They haven't, ever, as far as I know.

Same here. Our employer have not sent us to anywhere for about 7 years since I came here  because the money is used else where, like buying corporation softwares etc.

They subscribe us with Pluralsight as the only professional training they provide.

Of course SQL Saturday is an exception due to open to all, thanks for that.

• I wouldn't be a fan of 45-50 minute sessions. Presenters need a little bit of time to introduce themselves and give a little background and that takes some time from the presentation. Add in questions either during or after the presentation and you've probably lost close to 10 minutes. I like presentations that go into some detail and I can't imagine getting very deep with only 35-40 minutes after taking time for the above. I'm in the 60 minute sessions camp and I could even see the tracks for the first session being 75 minutes when everyone is fresh for the more complicated topics. After that keep 60 minute sessions.

• I've found it helpful to have a set of learning objectives for the topic areas I get asked to present on, that can shrink or grow based on session length and expectations regarding audience interaction (hands-on, QandA, etc). Organizers can usually grasp and respond to learning objectives and the difference between interactive vs. mostly lecture presentations.   Personally, I think session schedules and logistics are between the organizers and the attendees, and I have politely declined invitations where it is clear the organizers want a 75-minute set of learning objectives delivered in 25 minutes. I won't do that to the subject matter or the learners because it's not fair to either.

• Many speakers are volunteers. Putting together a quality presentation takes time and effort that is many multiples of the time and effort to deliver that presentation. Asking someone to have a 'X' minute version of a 'Y' minute presentation is asking a volunteer to work twice as hard.
    As long as the session times are known upfront and early enough it won't kill off too many volunteers. The #SQLFamily is so successful because of the volunteering element

• Rod at work - Friday, March 15, 2019 8:20 AM

Personally, I just wish I could attend a conference!!! My current employer doesn't allow anyone to go anywhere. They haven't, ever, as far as I know.

Fortunately SQLBits and QCON publish videos of their sessions for free.  Granted you'll miss the energy of the conference and the advantage of comuning with like minded individuals

• David.Poole - Saturday, March 16, 2019 4:08 AM

Many speakers are volunteers. Putting together a quality presentation takes time and effort that is many multiples of the time and effort to deliver that presentation. Asking someone to have a 'X' minute version of a 'Y' minute presentation is asking a volunteer to work twice as hard.
    As long as the session times are known upfront and early enough it won't kill off too many volunteers. The #SQLFamily is so successful because of the volunteering element

My personal feeling is that people should stop messing with what has become the defacto standard.  Make normal sessions an hour with 15 minutes between the sessions.  That we people volunteering their time to make the conference (or whatever) success don't have to spend extra time they sometimes just don't have to accommodate willy-nilly decisions about how long a session should be.  As you say, we already spend a huge amount of time making our presentations.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Eric M Russell - Friday, March 15, 2019 8:48 AM

Rod at work - Friday, March 15, 2019 8:20 AM

Doesn't allow or just doesn't pay for?

Fair point, Eric. Doesn't pay for, would be the answer. I tend to think that because they don't pay for it, they don't allow it. They don't pay for anyone to go anywhere. And haven't, as far as I can determine, in living memory. Well, even that's a small bit wrong. The CIO and Deputy CIO both can do to conferences held by Gartner. But they are the only ones.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, March 15, 2019 9:31 AM

SQL Sat coming back to ABQ next year is the rumor

I've heard the same thing and have already put a reminder in my calendar. 🙂

• David.Poole - Saturday, March 16, 2019 4:10 AM

Fortunately SQLBits and QCON publish videos of their sessions for free.  Granted you'll miss the energy of the conference and the advantage of comuning with like minded individuals

Really? I was unaware of that? What's QCON?

• Rod at work - Sunday, March 17, 2019 10:02 AM

Eric M Russell - Friday, March 15, 2019 8:48 AM

Doesn't allow or just doesn't pay for?

Fair point, Eric. Doesn't pay for, would be the answer. They don't pay for anyone to go anywhere. And haven't, as far as I can determine, in living memory. Well, even that's a small bit wrong. The CIO and Deputy CIO both can do to conferences held by Gartner. But they are the only ones.

It may be a lack of education about SQL Saturday events on their part.  Pick one coming up, download the schedule of sessions, circle the ones you want to attend, and present it to them with the cost of travel, the cost of the hotel, and a justification of how the sessions will help you help the company.  The answer is always "No" unless you ask.

If they still say "No", then invest in yourself... take a couple of vacation days and you pay for it.  While it won't recoup all of the money, you might be able to write it off as special training necessary to do you job.  Check with the people doing your taxes and, even if you can't write it off, invest in yourself. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Short is sweet. My personal attention span lasts about 30-45 minutes. Everything longer than that I drift out...

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply