How I can make look like I expert on SQL Server?

• Hi, my name Olgi, I am from Italy. I register here because recently I work little with SQL Server and I like it very much. Also like salary that make SQL DBA!

I work now in IT support.

I have following question:

Anybody have list of questions on SQL Server,big llist where any possible question about SQL Server present? I have very good memory,I can study and memorize everything, I want to find a good job, make look like I expert on SQL Server. Integration Services too!

Pls don't suggest to search Google, I know about that ๐Ÿ™‚ I asking if someone has a big list here for studying?

• No shortcuts ๐Ÿ˜›

Guessing by your lines, I think you know the basics of sqlserver otherwise I would have directed to some books to read as a starting material. If you want to jump into real world situations with SQL server, I dont think anything else is better than this sqlservercentral topics themselves. Go through these topics as much as you can and you would start covering most of the questions in sqlserver ๐Ÿ˜‰

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Personally while learning (but you'll never stop learning!), what i did was

1. trawl the SQL server forums.. trying to see if i could answer the problems (never posted them though) as you can never beat real world experience compared to classrooms and reading of books

by reading the forums you will see functions or techniques that you will find interesting and then go reading up on them and seeing if you can implement them in some fashion, which leads me on to my next point

2. Read regulary on sites such as sqlservercentral.com, msdn and make google your friend for searching for examples.

3. my final thought is to work on problems that arise this gives great experience and shows if you need to relook at code or configurations

sorry if these are mismashed but that is the way it came out of my brain on an early friday morning

Simon

• ItalianOlgi (10/2/2009)

Hi, my name Olgi, I am from Italy. I register here because recently I work little with SQL Server and I like it very much. Also like salary that make SQL DBA!

I work now in IT support.

I have following question:

Anybody have list of questions on SQL Server,big llist where any possible question about SQL Server present? I have very good memory,I can study and memorize everything, I want to find a good job, make look like I expert on SQL Server. Integration Services too!

Pls don't suggest to search Google, I know about that ๐Ÿ™‚ I asking if someone has a big list here for studying?

Depends on your knowledge of sql server, best way to start is to read the articles on this site and go from there, it is a big subject and you never stop learning. if you can post specific areas of sql server that you want to learn, people here can point you in a better direction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• ItalianOlgi (10/2/2009)I have very good memory,I can study and memorize everything, I want to find a good job, make look like I expert on SQL Server.

Build your own lab.

Start with SQL Server Books Online a.k.a. BOL

If you have money available take Microsoft traning

Find a job in a related entry level position.

If lucky, five years from now you may find yourself looking like a decent DBA ๐Ÿ˜‰

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Ti suggerirei di comprare un buon libro e di fare un bel po' di pratica sul campo.

Non c'รจ niente che possa sostituire la pratica. L'importante รจ capire cosa succede a livello teorico quando ti trovi ad affrontare il problema specifico.

Qui su SQLServerCentral troverai un sacco di risorse (articoli, script, forum) che ti aiuteranno a comprendere alcune feature di SQL Server, ma per partire dall'inizio, ti consiglio un buon libro. Non saprei indicartene uno in particolare, ma potrebbe esere uno dei tanti di Microsoft Press.

I miei migliori auguri

Gianluca

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (10/2/2009)

Ti suggerirei di comprare un buon libro e di fare un bel po' di pratica sul campo.

Non c'รจ niente che possa sostituire la pratica. L'importante รจ capire cosa succede a livello teorico quando ti trovi ad affrontare il problema specifico.

Qui su SQLServerCentral troverai un sacco di risorse (articoli, script, forum) che ti aiuteranno a comprendere alcune feature di SQL Server, ma per partire dall'inizio, ti consiglio un buon libro. Non saprei indicartene uno in particolare, ma potrebbe esere uno dei tanti di Microsoft Press.

I miei migliori auguri

Gianluca

Although it could look ridiculous to write in English while our first language is Italian, it's unfair to write in a public forum in a language other from the hosting forum's. I'm translating for the others:

I suggest you to buy a good book and practise a lot.

Nothing can substitute the practise. The important thing is understanding what is going on when you'ra facing the specific practical problem.

Here on SSC you'll find lots of resources (articles, scripts, forums) that will help you understanding some SQL Server features, but to start from the beginning I suggest you buy a good book. I can't point you to one in particular, it could be one of the many in Microsoft Press.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Thank you Gianluca, very kind of you.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Read, study and test, test, test. That's the only way to go.

Read books, the Inside SQL Server series is excellent.

Read the forums here at SSC.

Read blogs, start with Gail Shaw's SQL In the Wild[/url].

Study building your own database and try stuff out with it

Test, everything, twice, change and test it again. Don't assume any script from the forums or blogs or anywhere, including the Books Online, will actually work in your production system unless you've tested it in a test machine first. And then test it again. You can't possibly be paranoid enough about your production data.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• memorizing questions to answers is no substitute for real world experience..

take an entry level position and learn from someone who knows.. devour BOL and any other source you can get your hands on.. but until you actually do stuff.. its all just theory.

build a small sql lab and play.. try and work out solutions to other problems you see listed on forums within your own lab..

if your memory is that good, and you have the right mindset.. you could be a decent dba eventually.. but just trying to get the big bucks by reciting answers written by someone else is pointless.. because sooner or later something will come up that you've never done, and then you're in the brown stuff.

--------------------------

I long for a job where my databases dont have any pesky users accessing them ๐Ÿ™‚

• It takes the one thing that so few are actually willing to give... time. Pouring over books and articles will certainly give you some good ideas (and bad ones, watch out for those) but the only way to actually learn is to do things... over and over and over.

The best way to do that is to buy a copy of SQL Server Developer Edition which is really the Enterprise Edition with licensing caveats. Set it up on your home system (or home network if you can afford to build one) and practice, practice, practice.

One of the best sources of practice problems in the world is this very forum. Become an active participant and you'll see what I mean.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thank you for very good advice but maybe someone has the list I was asking about?

Also, I am looking for information like "if they ask about X, first answer about X but also talk about A, B, C".

Or, if they ask not questions like "what is this" or "what is that" but questions like "If you are a DBA and database is slow, what steps do you take to find out why and solve the problem?" -Need to learn LONG answer and say it confidently! What speech I give?

• ItalianOlgi (10/3/2009)

Thank you for very good advice but maybe someone has the list I was asking about?

Also, I am looking for information like "if they ask about X, first answer about X but also talk about A, B, C".

Or, if they ask not questions like "what is this" or "what is that" but questions like "If you are a DBA and database is slow, what steps do you take to find out why and solve the problem?" -Need to learn LONG answer and say it confidently! What speech I give?

It sounds to me like you're asking for a list of interview questions. If you haven't actually done the things they ask, they will blow you out of the water during an interview. And, if you are looking to become a DBA by simple memorization, then I'm all done with this thread... we don't need yet another DBA in this world who can't actually spell "DBA".

Hopefully, I'm just taking your line of questions the wrong way but I don't believe so.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (10/3/2009)

ItalianOlgi (10/3/2009)

Thank you for very good advice but maybe someone has the list I was asking about?

It sounds to me like you're asking for a list of interview questions. If you haven't actually done the things they ask, they will blow you out of the water during an interview. And, if you are looking to become a DBA by simple memorization, then I'm all done with this thread... we don't need yet another DBA in this world who can't actually spell "DBA".

Hopefully, I'm just taking your line of questions the wrong way but I don't believe so.

Yes, I looking for a list of interview questions!

Jeff, if you done with this thread,it's not the end of the world. I will still do what I decided to No, they not going to blow me out of the water if I study long enough!

• :Whistling:

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply