How Far Will You Go (To Work)?

• My current commute to start work is about the 10sec or so it takes to lean over in bed, grab the iPhone, and start checking email. Usually I do that as I start the secondary commute to the kids' rooms to get them ready for school. Then it's a leisurely stroll down the stairs and about 30 ft to the office. 😛

I'm lucky, I know it.

My longest commute was about 95 mi one way, Va Beach to Richmond, which I did for about 6 months. That was no fun, and a few times I had to go about 30-40 miles NW of Richmond for a few days a week. Definitely not fun.

On average I've been around 30 minutes each way. Surprisingly I found a few places where it was 20min by car, 30min by bike, and I would often choose to bike.

Last year I did an hour for a few days, London to Cambridge on the train. It wasn't bad, and I could get some work (morning) or reading (afternoon) done on the trip. Not sure I'd want to do that every day, but there is something to be said for public transport. These days I'd certainly try to carpool with someone if I could.

• I biked to work for my first job, about 5 miles, was good, if miserable on cold/raining days!

• I have a 30 minute commute by bicycle each way; about 20 minutes by car. I bike most of the time and carpool with my son, who attends a community college about 10 minutes from my office, during the winter.

I've bike commuted at least 6 months of the year for the past 20+ years and I wouldn't trade that for a longer commute by car.

Greg

• First job was 8km from home with it taking approx 30mins in the morning. Evening was not a problem as I worked late most nights - young and growing a career.

I then moved cities for an opportunity. This was just over an hour in the morning and anywhere from 45 mins up to 1.5 hrs at night - 18kms each way by car. Working too late wasn't really an option with family, but stress levels due to traffic were high once I arrived home. Could have changed areas, but loved living close to the beach.

That company then allowed me to move back to my home town and I got to choose my office which is now only 5kms from home. In bad traffic, it is now only 20 mins max. Would be hard to sacrifice this! I can work from home and am allowed flexi time as well. Once or twice a month I go to head office for a few days and then I leave at 6am for the 300km drive. But this is very enjoyable in summer months traveling along the coast with the views of the coastline.

• Chris Wentworth (8/11/2011)

That company then allowed me to move back to my home town and I got to choose my office which is now only 5kms from home. In bad traffic, it is now only 20 mins max.

That sucks! I couldn't deal with a (less than ) 5 minute drive taking 20 minutes!

Dave

• LightVader (8/11/2011)

ken.trock (8/11/2011)

I briefly did the train into the NYC thing which is very popular around here in NJ. Lot's of people going to Wall St. and midtown Manhattan for excellent pay. Including driving to the train station, taking the train to another smaller train, getting off and taking a subway or walking to work it's ~2 hours door to door :angry:

That's similar to the commute I did, although where I live, we don't have a direct train to NYC so I had to get the bus across the Hudson river. Definitely not worth it.

I used to commute from Long island into NYC and actually enjoyed the reading time on the LIRR.

• I'd prefer the 15 minutes, but I am one of those idiots who drive 2 hours EACH WAY to work every day of the week. the boss doesn't really want me working from home at all (old school), but I've been trying to soften her up to working a day or two a week from home. Fingers crossed I can do that. One day, I may move up here, but right now with kids in school, the housing market, etc, it's not possible. And no, the gas money is not worth it.

• My commute will be getting a little longer in a couple of weeks.

• kpwimberger (8/11/2011)

LightVader (8/11/2011)

ken.trock (8/11/2011)

I briefly did the train into the NYC thing which is very popular around here in NJ. Lot's of people going to Wall St. and midtown Manhattan for excellent pay. Including driving to the train station, taking the train to another smaller train, getting off and taking a subway or walking to work it's ~2 hours door to door :angry:

That's similar to the commute I did, although where I live, we don't have a direct train to NYC so I had to get the bus across the Hudson river. Definitely not worth it.

I used to commute from Long island into NYC and actually enjoyed the reading time on the LIRR.

The main problem I had was that I can't read on the bus/train, I get motion sickness. On the way in I would catch some extra sleep (only missed my stop once ;-)). But on the way home I was limited with what I could do and I get very fidgety sitting for long periods.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• Lynn Pettis (8/11/2011)

My commute will be getting a little longer in a couple of weeks.

Have you considered stay at a hotel some day? How much are you spending on gas, tires, oil, milleage and most importanly your time? I used to to this some days when I visited client located more than a hour driving time from home? Think about it. When you get back home you will be more relaxed and eager to see your family again.;-)

• Currently I live about 45 miles from where I work, but our company partially subsidizes use of commuter buses (the big motorcoaches), so I go 1.5 miles to the bus stop, ride the commuter bus, and take a shuttle bus from the commuter bus stop to my building. It makes the day a bit longer than it would if I drove door to door, but it's a third the cost. I consider the bus a great benefit, since I've always had a 30-50 min commute, and while this is slightly longer, I save money, and don't have to drive in nasty winter conditions, which saves wear and tear on me, and my worrying spouse. Due to the lack of parking in the town where I work, the bus prevents a large quantity of hassle.

I enjoy the time on the bus for reading, listening to podcasts, and napping.

• Currently it's 12-14 minutes on the highway if traffic is good, 30-50 if it's bad (blue water tower on the 290 if you're from Buffalo). It's never bad in the mornings. It's rare to be bad in the evenings, but I hate sitting still in a car so much that I come in by highwy in the morning, and take a 20-25 minute drive home through suburban strets in the evenings.

I'd never move to get closer to work. I like my house and my town; I'd rather switch jobs to get closer to home that switch homes to get closer to work. Maybe we just need better companies around here?

• scunningham 38251 (8/12/2011)

It's never bad in the mornings. It's rare to be bad in the evenings, but I hate sitting still in a car so much that I come in by highwy in the morning, and take a 20-25 minute drive home through suburban strets in the evenings.

Sounds similar to how I do things. Although my evening commute is only about 3-5min longer off the highway. I wish I'd taken the back roads this morning as there was an accident on the highway that added 15 minutes to my commute (that's 50%). Small price when put int he perspective on the car that had the accident. It was a nasty 1 car accident that looked like a roll-over. Rescue crews were still arriving when I went by and they were still working on getting the driver out of the car. Didn't look good.

Those of us that have a commute, be careful! Don't text and, if you have to use the phone, have a hands free setup. It doesn't cost much.

• Currently my commute is about 1/2 hour on those days that I drive into work. There is no mathematical formula that I would use to determine how much time I'd be willing to commute. I would be willing to commute more than 1 hour, if I were in a bind and paying my mortgage depended on it, but those hours spent in the car or on the train would be devoted to plotting my move to another job, not reading a paperback novel or day dreaming.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Its not possible for the majority to live so close to work or to find work so close to home.

Most of the people I know take about 45mins to 1 hr to commute to work including me. I would go as far as to say a vast majority 70% of the city's population take this much time, as the majority heads to the CBD for work.

No matter whether you drive or take public transport; the time taken is still an average of 45 mins to 1 hr; travel by car taking a bit early by 10-15 mins depending on traffic.

People living close to the city take approx 20 to 40 mins to reach work whether they take public transport or personal vehicle.

The most constricting factor is the infrastructure and we have to adopt to the 1 hr one way journey to work; as there are limited options.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply