how does access connect to SQL

• I don't know access but I have an access db that somehow interfaces with an old SQL database I need to move.

So I need to figure out how the access db connects to SQL in order to be able to move the db & change the connection. I've clicked around the access db in question for hours but can't find where an odbc or connect string is stored. Any pointers gratefully accepted!!

• snomadj (1/12/2016)

I don't know access but I have an access db that somehow interfaces with an old SQL database I need to move.

So I need to figure out how the access db connects to SQL in order to be able to move the db & change the connection. I've clicked around the access db in question for hours but can't find where an odbc or connect string is stored. Any pointers gratefully accepted!!

Which version of Access and SQL Server? Normally this would be an ODBC connection

😎

• Try "External Data -> Linked Table Manager".

Alex Suprun

• Check out the following link may be this will help you to out: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/25996.aspx

• Thanks all, appreciate your replies!

I was quite lost. I could see incoming calls to SQL from host A supposedly via the access db. However, having spent hours on it, I found an additional mde file that had linked tables connecting via a dsn.

I'm hoping I only need to amend the dsn. I will find out!

Thank you all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply