How do I tackle this one?

• Hi everyone,

I've been given the task to retrieve and populate web pages with information from a MYSQL database. I would like to use Visual Studio but it doesn't play nice with MYSQL, I've seen a developer plugin that I could use which may do the trick. This would have been nice if I had full read/write access to the database where I could create views of the required columns I needed to keep things nice and simple. Unfortunately for me, the developers of the database won't allow me to create such views and want the company to pay them to do it for us - as a typical Scotsman I like to do things on the cheap.

Is there anyway to import the data from mysql into a mssql database so I can create the views or stored procedures and create the pages using Visual Studio without having to install plugins.

I'm by no means a DBA or programmer, so I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to give me a few pointers.

Thanks

James

• I don't know of a direct method... but can you have MySQL export to either a Tab Delimited or CSV file? From there, it's easy to import into SQL Server. You'd have to steal the table create scripts...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I think you can connect to MySQL using SSIS and extract data that way. Another method would be to create a linked server in SQL Server, create a new database in SQL Server and create your views using the linked server.

I don't know if either will actually work, but - if you can install the ODBC/OLEDB drivers and create a DSN that works, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• This should have enough info to help you

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/deploy/mysql.mspx

• Here's a bunch of connection strings depending on which provider and what options you want to use. I usually go here first to snag a connection string for a new database type.

http://www.connectionstrings.com/?carrier=mysql

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply