How do i set identity column to zero?

• I have drop all rows in my table... when i insert them back aggain the identity starts at 50 instead of 1.

i think i need to set identity to zero?

• Truncate table mytable

go

DBCC CHECKIDENT(mytable, reseed, 50)

go

then try to insert values into the table.

• i tested it but it doesnt work.. its starts with 51.52.53,54

Msg 4712, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Cannot truncate table 'lonekat' because it is being referenced by a FOREIGN KEY constraint.

Checking identity information: current identity value '37', current column value '37'.

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

• That's the major thing in the table if identity column is specified we can go to back again unless we DROP that table compeltly & again created again.

I had also tried but it simple won't work.

In other words must drop completely table & create a new having same structure.

• Hi

Here an example which shows how to reset the IDENTITY column.

USE tempdb

IF (OBJECT_ID('test') IS NOT NULL)

DROP TABLE test

GO

CREATE TABLE test (id INT IDENTITY, txt VARCHAR(100))

GO

INSERT INTO test

SELECT 'hello'

UNION ALL SELECT 'world'

SELECT * FROM test

GO

DELETE FROM test

GO

DBCC CHECKIDENT(test, reseed, 0)

GO

INSERT INTO test

SELECT 'foo'

UNION ALL SELECT 'bar'

SELECT * FROM test

Greets

Flo

• Polo_Sport09

Msg 4712, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Cannot truncate table 'lonekat' because it is being referenced by a FOREIGN KEY constraint.

Some where, some one set up the Foreign Key restraint presmably for a valid logical reason. Do you want to remove this requirement to enforce referential integrity?

Although the main purpose of a FOREIGN KEY constraint is to control the data that can be stored in the foreign key table, it also controls changes to data in the primary key table. For example, if the row for a salesperson is deleted from the Sales.SalesPerson table, and the salesperson's ID is used for sales orders in the Sales.SalesOrderHeader table, the relational integrity between the two tables is broken; the deleted salesperson's sales orders are orphaned in the SalesOrderHeader table without a link to the data in the SalesPerson table.

The constraint enforces referential integrity by guaranteeing that changes cannot be made to data in the primary key table if those changes invalidate the link to data in the foreign key table. If an attempt is made to delete the row in a primary key table or to change a primary key value, the action will fail when the deleted or changed primary key value corresponds to a value in the FOREIGN KEY constraint of another table.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• dbcc checkident(Table_NAME, reseed, 0)

-------------------------
    - Name?
    - Abu Dalah Sarafi.
    - Sex?
    - 3 times a week!
    - No, no. Male or Female?
    - Male, female, sometimes camel...

• You have got the error due to foriegn key constraint....

if u want to just increase the identity value by x for the table having some rows.

then us just to reseed to the just the previous value.

in ur case if u just try with

dbcc checkident(mytable, reseed, 49)...............

if u want to reset to 0....

then u have to drop the child & parent table .....

and create the table again...

• polo_sport09 (3/22/2009)

I have drop all rows in my table... when i insert them back aggain the identity starts at 50 instead of 1.

i think i need to set identity to zero?

Why do you want to do this? It may make a difference.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply