High volume of transactions definition/measure?

• How to define a database has high or low transaction/access volume? What are the measures? Is it by transaction per second? Queries per hour? What is the number referred to? Is there any resource for guideline?

500+ GB database is considered as a VLDB nowadays. This is the number we can refer to. Is there any number for transaction or data access?

• That's interesting. I'd say 1,000/sec is high, but that's just a guess. It's been some time since I tracked this. I ought to see what SSC does.

• Vivien Xing (6/11/2009)

500+ GB database is considered as a VLDB nowadays.

Who made that rule? 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I guess my question would be, why do people try to quantify such things a low or high? If your hardware and database server can't handle it, then it's "high" or "too high". If that number is only 1000 transactions per second and your system can only handle 100 per second, what does it matter if someone classifies 1000 as "low" or "average"? It's still "too high" for your system.

Besides, the numbers change as time progresses. 30 years ago, 180 baud was the new "high" when compared to the old 100 baud.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I think the classification is just to have a frame of reference. It does always change, but it helps to get an idea of scale for how your system might compare with other systems.

I'd think that 1TB isn't that large anymore, especially since you can carry it around on a single disk. I'd think a VLDB is more in the 100TB range.

It would be good to see what a large number of transactions is for most systems. Maybe just out of curiosity.

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/15/2009)

I think the classification is just to have a frame of reference. It does always change, but it helps to get an idea of scale for how your system might compare with other systems.

I'd think that 1TB isn't that large anymore, especially since you can carry it around on a single disk. I'd think a VLDB is more in the 100TB range.

It would be good to see what a large number of transactions is for most systems. Maybe just out of curiosity.

That might be fun, indeed. I wonder if Microsoft has a document somewhere that they use to classify database sizes and number of transactions? Of course, the would mean asking the same folks that told me that "hundreds" of deadlocks were probably OK on a "normal" system. 😛 Seriously....

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply