High Memory Utalization

• We get high memory utilization notification from third party monitoring tool. We are using SQL Server 2005 SP1.There are limitation for upgrade of database server. I don't see any issues regarding PLE value.How do you identify the cause?

Thanks

• High memory utilisation is good. It means SQL is correctly using the resources that you've told it that it can use (via max server memory)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • However, now I am getting memory shortage. When I look memory metrics it looks good. Does it mean it needs more memory? Why I am seeing this notification when I am seeing all memory metrics are good.

Thanks

• Admingod (6/2/2014)

However, now I am getting memory shortage. When I look memory metrics it looks good. Does it mean it needs more memory? Why I am seeing this notification when I am seeing all memory metrics are good.

Thanks

If your memory metrics look good, what's telling you that you have a memory shortage? Do you know that there's a problem?

• First a few questions:

- Is the server physical or virtual ?

- Is there an application on the database server ?

- How much RAM is on the server ?

- What are your SQL Server min/max memory settings ?

- If the SQL Server is physical, did you set 'set working set' to 1 ?

Now a few perfmon counters to check:

- SQL Server Buffer Manager

- Page Lifge Expectancy - over 1,200 as a minimum, 10,000+ is preferred

- Stolen pages - should be zero, if it exceeds 10-20% of Target Pages you may either need more RAM or might want to look into disk performance

- Target Pages - should equal Total Pages

- Total Pages - should equal Target Pages, if it is larger you need more RAM

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply