High Memory is 70% & growing Fast

• To be honest I would question whether something really is wrong. As has been mentioned in this post, SQL Server will use whatever memory is allocated to it which is why it is important to specify an upper limit for memory that SQL Server can use.

Keep an eye on the box certainly but don't get caught in the trap that just because the whole memory allocation is used that you think something is wrong.

• HI kevaburg,

Now the memory Utilisation is 70%...

what to do? Client is asking for the reason and I told there is no performance issue we can neglect and SQL will use more memory.. I convienced him. But to be honest I myself feel guilty to say..

Please suggest me..

Thanks

Praveen

• praneethydba (3/11/2014)

Now the memory Utilisation is 70%...

what to do?

Nothing?

Why do you feel that something needs to be done? What problem are you trying to solve here? What is the issue at hand?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi,

My biggest concern is that the number of users are very less 7 members and as of now no OLTP.

No other softwares were installed, it is dedicated to sql server only..But still it is showing as 70% memory utilisation...

Thanks

Praveen

• Again, why is that a concern?

From earlier in this thread:

SQL Server will take all of the memory - up to the max memory setting - that it needs. If you have not reached max memory and you see memory utilization going up, all that means is that SQL Server needs that memory.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• HI,

Without any activities in the sql server, it is consuming a lot.

I want to know on what basis/activities are going internally...

If users connect then memory utilisation will raise beyond this, so I am checking proactiively.

Asking for help where and what to check..

Thanks

Praveen

• Gail,

Client is asking to reduce the memory utilisation for DB server...

Thanks

Praveen

• praneethydba (3/11/2014)

Client is asking to reduce the memory utilisation for DB server...

Tell the client that

SQL Server will take all of the memory - up to the max memory setting - that it needs. If you have not reached max memory and you see memory utilization going up, all that means is that SQL Server needs that memory.

So what you are seeing there is normal, expected, documented behaviour.

Gail Shaw

• Exactly as Gail says, nothing.

Briefly, when you start up SQL Server, as you run queries it takes the data from the discs to fulfil those queries. This is slow. It also generates a plan of how it is going to access the data efficiently - which takes time and CPU resources.

In order to respond efficiently in future, SQL Server stores

1) the data

2) the query plan

in RAM so

1) it doesn't have to go to disc every time to get, say, your customer table which you're using all the time (generally it's said RAM is 500,000 times faster than disc - whatever, it's just a hell of a lot faster)

2) it doesn't have to recalculate how to pull the data together to service your query, saving time and CPU resource

the reason SQL Server is using all that memory is to make it more efficient. This is actually a good thing. There's a bit lot more to it than that, but that's the basic principle behind what you're seeing

HTH

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Thanks a lot andrew gothard & Gail,,

For your perfect solution.

I would like to know more about the memory architecture of SQL Server. If you have any link or docs, can you please share to me..

Thanks

Praveen

• This should help.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280359(v=sql.105).aspx

If you're new to SQL Server, http://www.SQLSklls.com accidental DBA series of posts, and also their Misconceptions series are something I'd highly recommend.

Also http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/category/sql-server/admin/ isn't bad

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Thanks a lot ..

Regards,

Praveen

• What is the best practice or recommended settings to configure sql memory..

like max memory setting

• Chapter 4: http://www.red-gate.com/community/books/accidental-dba

Gail Shaw

• I already posted the link to the article about Max Server Memory........

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply