High Memory is 70% & growing Fast

• What the hell gives you the idea that there's a memory leak?

Let's see...

Go and do some reading on how SQL uses its memory and how to monitor the memory.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • praneethydba (4/8/2014)

HI,

My Page life Expectancy value is 80..

is there any memory leakage....

80?! On a 32 Gb box? Given how long it's taken your memory use to get up to 90% that seems rather remarkable. Are you sure about that, what query are you running?

Hang on, you haven't by any chance run the command to clear your buffer cache, to solve your memory 'problem', have you?

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• As you seem unwilling to believe that what you are seeing is normal behavior for SQL Server, I can only reiterate my original somewhat flippant suggestion that you add more RAM to the server and then increase the Max Server Memory setting.

Or, you could instead spend the money on getting a consultant in to tell you what everyone on this forum thread has been telling you! 😉

Regards

Lempster

• Hi

I'm sorry but i have to agree with Gail on this. The links provided are a good read and an excellent place to start.

In addition Brent Ozar has a video [/url]outlining the things to check if you require more memory.

Also, there are a few good diagnostic queries within Glen Berry's blog[/url]. Query 35, 36, 44, 46 and 50 that will help identify (or point you in the right direction)

If all the advise you have been given appease you/client then I personally would seek the advice of a DB professional on a consultancy basis.

• HI,

I dint run cleanbuffer..

• praneethydba (4/8/2014)

HI,

I dint run cleanbuffer..

Reboot?

I'm a DBA.

• No Reboot. Today surprisingly my manager asked another DBA to check and he reduced the memory CAP to 10 GB, and no issues till now.... I am very eagerly waiting to see the result of this action...

• praneethydba (4/10/2014)

and he reduced the memory CAP to 10 GB, and no issues till now....

Why? Why would you want more than half of the memory on the server to go completely to waste? Why would you want to cripple SQL by limiting its memory that much?

Sure, that's going to reduce the % memory used but it's counterproductive. Free memory is memory not being used, it's memory going to waste, it's a waste of money spent on that memory. By doing that you will have around 16GB memory doing absolutely nothing, may as well remove that 16GB from the server and throw it away as that's the equivalent of what's been done there.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (4/10/2014)

praneethydba (4/10/2014)

and he reduced the memory CAP to 10 GB, and no issues till now....

Why? Why would you want more than half of the memory on the server to go completely to waste? Why would you want to cripple SQL by limiting its memory that much?

Sure, that's going to reduce the % memory used but it's counterproductive. Free memory is memory not being used, it's memory going to waste, it's a waste of money spent on that memory. By doing that you will have around 16GB memory doing absolutely nothing, may as well remove that 16GB from the server and throw it away as that's the equivalent of what's been done there.

What Gail said. Again. You do realise you're ignoring one of the best known and respected SQL Server experts on the planet. She's right, you're wrong, your client is wrong and the guy who did that is wrong. Seriously, listen to Gail and the others who have given you good advice. The reason your PLE is shocking is because you're ignored it.

I'm sorry for being so blunt, but what is the point of asking for advice if you're going to ignore it, even when it's explained to you? I just don't understand that. Admittedly I get it a lot. But I don't understand it.

I'm a DBA.

• HI All,

SOrry for the trouble...

I argued with my colleague and replace the memory setting to Max.

I explained and convinced them. Now its all good....

Thanks for the advices....

Now they want to do rebuild the particular database i.e. most used database in order to check the performance....

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply