A5 0

A6 0

A7 0

A8 0

A9 0

A10 0

A11 0

A12 0

now my problem is that when a user gives me name of any location and no of locations to be added

i need to provide him the name of other locations by counting no of locations he wants. for example , a user tells me that i need A1 and next 3 locations,

so i need to find next three locations after A1 which are A2,A3 and A4 in this case. And i have no idea how to that! so please can anyone help me here

• Select top 4 location

from Locations

where location >= 'A1'

• Martin Davies (9/11/2009)

Select top 4 location

from Locations

where location >= 'A2'

"ORDER BY location" should be added to this query.

Otherwise results may be unexpected.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Then what happens when you try location >= 'A9' ?

Greg
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The glass is at one half capacity: nothing more, nothing less.

• Greg Snidow (9/14/2009)

Then what happens when you try location >= 'A9' ?

Well, you're right, the ORDER BY Clause will lead to wrong results 🙁

Nevertheless, I'd "blame" it on the data concept and not on the SQL statement (I'm sorry, schauhan13).

We don't know what the original table structure is: is it a heap or an indexed table?

If the latter: what columns are part of the index?

If the former: can it be guaranteed that the heap will always stay a heap and never ever anybody comes across and add an index to the Location column? If this happens, all of a sudden the very same query will result in different data. The sam is going to happen if there is an update of some values of the location column or a "misordered" insert.

What I'd do is to add a computed column to get the numeric part of the location and query against this column.

Lutz

Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• If your system of ordering the records has to be in tht format you could try something along these lines (Not tested):

where right( location , len( location ) - 1 ) >= right( anylocation , len( anylocation ) - 1 )

This assuming that the structure of your location code is alway a single letter followed by only digits.

N.B. This is just what you COULD do. It's not a substitute for a more appropriate method of ordering the records.

• would adding an identity column help?

-------------------------------------------------
    -Amit
    Give a man a fish and he'll ask for a lemon. Teach a man to fish and he wont get paged on weekends !! :w00t: - desparately trying to fish [/size]

• XingThing (9/14/2009)

would adding an identity column help?

From my personal point of view and with respect to the original question: no.

Even with an identity column a mixed insert or an update of existing values may cause changed results.

Lutz

• shauhan13, does the letter portion of the location have any significance? If so, you could add a column to the location table to hold only the letters, which would make it easier to lookup values. Is the number of letters preceeding the numbers *always* 1? If so, this should work.

SELECT TOP 4

FROM #locs

WHERE CONVERT(INT,SUBSTRING(Location,2,LEN(Location)-1))> = 9

AND SUBSTRING(Location,1,1) = 'A'

ORDER BY CONVERT(INT,SUBSTRING(Location,2,LEN(Location)-1))

What if, at some point in time, it becomes necessary to add two letters to the beginning of a location? When that happens, the above will fail. You can try the below, but it will only work for up to two letters. For three or more, you will have to add another case. And, you should note you can combine derived tables t1 and t2, but I find it easier to visualize if I break out the actions. Also, I made the assumption that the physical order of the rows is not consistent with the desired sequence of locations. Anyhow, I hope this helps.

First the unordered test data

IF OBJECT_ID('TempDB..#locs','u') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #locs

CREATE TABLE #locs

(

Location VARCHAR(10)

)

INSERT INTO #locs

SELECT 'A9' UNION ALL

SELECT 'AA9' UNION ALL

SELECT 'A10' UNION ALL

SELECT 'AA10' UNION ALL

SELECT 'AA11' UNION ALL

SELECT 'A11' UNION ALL

SELECT 'B12' UNION ALL

SELECT 'A12' UNION ALL

SELECT 'B9' UNION ALL

SELECT 'B10' UNION ALL

SELECT 'B11' UNION ALL

SELECT 'AA12'

And now the query

SELECT TOP 4

FROM

(--T2 breaks out the numbers

SELECT

Location,

Letters,

Numbers = CONVERT(INT,SUBSTRING(Location,LEN(Letters) + 1,LEN(Location)-LEN(Letters)))

FROM

(--T1 breaks out the letters

SELECT

Location,

Letters = CASE WHEN ISNUMERIC(SUBSTRING(Location,2,1)) = 1 THEN SUBSTRING(Location,1,1)

WHEN ISNUMERIC(SUBSTRING(Location,2,1)) = 0 THEN SUBSTRING(Location,1,2)

END

FROM #locs

) t1

) t2

WHERE LEFT(Location,2) = 'AA'

ORDER BY Letters,Numbers

Greg
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The glass is at one half capacity: nothing more, nothing less.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply