Help with number / percentage format

• I'm trying to get a calculation based on count(*) to format as a decimal value or percentage.

I keep getting 0s for the solution_rejected_percent column. How can I format this like 0.50 (for 50%)?

thanks

select mi.id, count(*) as cnt,

count(*) + 1 as cntplusone,

cast(count(*) / (count(*) + 1) as numeric(10,2)) as solution_rejected_percent

from metric_instance mi

INNER JOIN incident i

on i.number = mi.id

WHERE mi.definition = 'Solution Rejected'

AND i.state = 'Closed'

group by mi.id

id cnt cntplusone solution_rejected_percent

-------------------------------------------------- ----------- ----------- ---------------------------------------

INC011256 1 2 0.00

INC011290 1 2 0.00

INC011291 1 2 0.00

INC011522 1 2 0.00

INC011799 2 3 0.00

• IN SQL server if you do a divide an Integer by an integer you get an integer, and a count will only ever produce an integer.

to get round this you need to convert one of the counts to a Decimal and then it will work

Example

Print 100/200

Print 100/CONVERT(DECIMAL(18,2),200)

hope this helps

• many thanks! i was about to go crazy with that. :hehe:

• Jason-299789 (12/4/2014)

IN SQL server if you do a divide an Integer by an integer you get an integer, and a count will only ever produce an integer.

to get round this you need to convert one of the counts to a Decimal and then it will work

Example

Print 100/200

hope this helps

Or the quick and dirty solution:

select 100/200.0

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (12/4/2014)

Jason-299789 (12/4/2014)

IN SQL server if you do a divide an Integer by an integer you get an integer, and a count will only ever produce an integer.

Example

Print 100/200

hope this helps

select 100/200.0

Aye, that works as well, just thought Id demonstrate it principle converting the INT in line rather than adding a decimal :crazy:

I always wondered why SQL doesn't auto cast the output of a division to a Decimal of max precision.

• Jason-299789 (12/4/2014)

Phil Parkin (12/4/2014)

Jason-299789 (12/4/2014)

Example

Print 100/200

hope this helps

select 100/200.0

Aye, that works as well, just thought Id demonstrate it principle converting the INT in line rather than adding a decimal :crazy:

I always wondered why SQL doesn't auto cast the output of a division to a Decimal of max precision.

Dunno why they did it that way but I've come to rely on it for different forms of grouping.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply