Help us tune a query

• GilaMonster (7/15/2009)

Mel Harbour (7/15/2009)

Note that I've adjusted the forum setup to avoid having to zip up these sqlplans.

Excellent. Thank you for that.

Really. That alone was worth the price of admission. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Hi,

Can you change the where clause from

WHERE PointsCategory = ISNULL(@PointsCategory, PointsCategory)

to

WHERE (PointsCategory = @PointsCategory OR @PointsCategory IS NULL)

This would definetly give some benifits.

• Jeff Moden (7/15/2009)

Survey says, do the calc once a day and store it in a table (which I think is being done now, anyway). Use a synonym to flop between two tables so the change is instant to the users which also might be being done now.

If we're talking about updating the User Points, a once-a-day recalc would not be nearly sufficient. That would undoubtedly lead to a lot of confused and frustrated users. The 5-10 minute lag that we have now is already confusing enough...

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• @manish,

There's almost no difference between the two versions, performance-wise. As it happens, we sidestepped the issue by having a whole separate query for the two different cases (null and not null).

Mel HarbourProject ManagerRed Gate Software

• RBarryYoung (7/16/2009)

Jeff Moden (7/15/2009)

Survey says, do the calc once a day and store it in a table (which I think is being done now, anyway). Use a synonym to flop between two tables so the change is instant to the users which also might be being done now.

If we're talking about updating the User Points, a once-a-day recalc would not be nearly sufficient. That would undoubtedly lead to a lot of confused and frustrated users. The 5-10 minute lag that we have now is already confusing enough...

Whatever... what's really important is that it doesn't appear to be instant right now and probably doesn't need to be. The 5-10 minute lag really isn't confusing if you simply understand that lags are a possibility just like a lot of online checking accounts use to have.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hey Mel,

I don't know if anyone else is having the same problem but all I can see of Avatar's today is a little red x. And, yeah, I'm using IE.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (7/16/2009)

Hey Mel,

I don't know if anyone else is having the same problem but all I can see of Avatar's today is a little red x. And, yeah, I'm using IE.

If you go to edit your avatar, you see:

Invalid Avatar Directory!

----------------------

The avatar upload directory settings is pointing to a directory that does not exist.

Uploads\Avatars

If your the administrator you can update this setting within the admin area to point to a valid upload directory

p.s. *cough* grammar check *cough*

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Avatars now fixed again. We rolled out a couple of changes to the site and the forums this morning, and the directory containing the avatars needed to be copied across.

• Thanks Mel, added a custom avatar just for Jeff!

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• One other thing you might want to take a gander at.... the wrong type of quotes have been used on the IFCode Shortcuts that have them. For example, ”sql” should be "sql" and ”xml” should be "xml" for the code shortcuts.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• @jcrawf02,

You had me worried for a minute there... 🙂

• Jeff Moden (7/16/2009)

One other thing you might want to take a gander at.... the wrong type of quotes have been used on the IFCode Shortcuts that have them. For example, ”sql” should be "sql" and ”xml” should be "xml" for the code shortcuts.

Ach... hard to see there. In the IFCode Shortcuts window, and in the edit window, they show up as italic quotes and they don't work as they are. Once they're manually changed to straight quotes, they produce a code window.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• @jeff,

Ok, think I've fixed that now!

• jcrawf02 (7/16/2009)

Thanks Mel, added a custom avatar just for Jeff!

Oh, that's wicked! You got me on that one... 🙂

[/font]

Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply