Help to Understand Normalize Table Relationship

• Hello all,

Come up with two design ideas as shown in the image but would like to understand which suits the best.

Conditions:
    1. Every form must be in any one catalog.

Thank you.

• First, I can't really read your pictures. Second, I have no scenario or description of what's going on to compare it to, so sure, it's great. They both are. Knock yourself out.
    It's impossible to validate your design without (1) being able to see it. (Post CREATE TABLE scripts, not silly screenshots. Those are worthless.), and (2) without knowing how you plan to use the data.

• What problem are you trying to solve? It's very hard to understand which solution is better when we don't have a clue what problem the solution is solving.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• In both of these options you have a many-to-many relationship between FormHeader and CatelogHeader in the intersection table CatalogForm.  The difference between your 2 proposals seems to be if the FormFilter and FormSource are attributes that are always the same for a given FormHeader or if those attributes could be different for the same FormHeader depending on which CatalogForm the FormHeader is associated to.  That's the answer you need to explore with the system users.  I wish I could explain it better but all I have to go by is the names on the tables in the diagram.

• Well, it looks as if Chris managed to get some information friom your question.  I, like Grant and Pietlinden, get the impression that you haven't told us anything about what your problem is - absolutely nothing at all.  Nothing is visible in your post.

Tom

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply