Help to optimize a SP

• Could you guys please review the attached Stored Procedure and advise if optimization is needed.

I've attached the SQL plan, Table/Function definitions.

• SQL!$@w$0ME (2/12/2016)

Could you guys please review the attached Stored Procedure and advise if optimization is needed.

-- Stored Procedure

CREATE procedure [dbo].[PeerReviewsGet]

as

begin

select Review_tab.ReviewId CustomerReferralId,

Review_tab.ActivityId ReviewActivityId,

ImeEventDetail.Id ImeEventDetailId,

activity.Id ActivityId,

caseinfo.casenum as CaseNumber,

convert(varchar, ImeEventDetail.ImeEventId) + ImeEventDetail.Extension ImeEventId,

ImeEventDetail.CustomerReceivedReportDate,

activity.ActivityDate,

ActivityNote.Note,

activity.ActivityDescription

from invoice.activity

inner join caseinfo on activity.caseid = caseinfo.caseid

inner join code.ActivityCode on ActivityCode.id = activity.ActivityCodeId

inner join ImeEventDetailActivity on ImeEventDetailActivity.activityid = activity.id

inner join ImeEventDetail on ImeEventDetailActivity.ImeEventDetailId = ImeEventDetail.Id

inner join invoice.ActivityNote on ActivityNote.activityid = activity.Id

left join dbo.PeerReviewActivity on PeerReviewActivity.activityid = activity.Id

outer apply dbo.PeerReviewIds(ImeEventDetail.Id) as Review_tab

where ActivityCode.Code in ('GHRTF')

and ImeEventDetail.ImeServiceTypeId = 2

and ImeEventDetail.closurecode is not null

and activity.isexcluded is null

and activity.DeletedAt is null

and activity.ActivityDescription not in (

'Contact',

'ReviewID'

)

and (

PeerReviewActivity.id is null

or (

PeerReviewActivity.id is not null

and PeerReviewActivity.StatusId = 3

)

)

order by ImeEventDetail.Id,

activity.Id

end

GO

The business will soon tell you if optimisation is needed!

Can you post an actual execution plan as a .sqlplan attachment, folks will review it for tuning opportunities.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Table definitions, index definitions, function definitions and execution plan please.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Tks. I've attached the sqlplan.

Tks. I've attached the sqlplan.

That's the estimated plan. Can you post the actual plan please?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Tks. I've attached the sqlplan.

Add ActivityDescription as an INCLUDE column to index [IX_Activity_ActivityCodeId_DeletedAt_CaseId_ActivityDate], it's currently showing as 78% of the total cost of the query and masking everything else. Then capture and post an actual plan, along with the details Gail requested.

• Thanks, Please see the actual plan attached.

• GilaMonster (2/12/2016)

Table definitions, index definitions, function definitions and execution plan please.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Thanks, Please see the actual plan attached.

1. Can you amend the index as suggested earlier?

2. Can you run it with sensible parameters such that it returns a result set?

• Thanks Gail. I've attached the table/index/function definitions.

• First the most important question (if it has already been asked, I have overlooked it): How much time does this query currently take, and how fast do you need it to be?

The actual execution plan shows all actual rowcounts to be zero, even when estimates are in the thousands. This means (a) that either something is very wrong with the estimates or you did something very weird to get this plan; and (b) that the procedure probably ran very fast.

Could you also run it again, with the SET STATISTICS IO option enabled, and share the results of that?

Based on the estimated cost percentages, I agree with Chris' suggestion that adding ActivityDescription as an included column in the index **MIGHT** make the querry faster. But it might also affect performance of other queries running on your system, for better or for worse, so do run a full test in your QA database.

Various tables and indexes in the plan are scanned. Whether or not that is a problem is hard to tell without knowing how much data is in the tables.

Also, your table-valued function: it is written as an inline function, which is great. (Well done!). But its results are not deterministic: it has a TOP 1 without ORDER BY, which is the SQL Server equivalent of "just pick any random row that meets the criteria".

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• If you have to ask, then the answer is probably yes, at least to some degree.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• What's the value of ActivityCode.Code filter constant?

'GHRTF' OR 'kjhgu' OR 'HARTW' ?

Why is it constantly changing?

Alex Suprun

Thanks, Please see the actual plan attached.

It would appear that you have no data in the leading table. The actual execution plan isn't going to indicate much.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply