HELP :: Operation must use an updateable query.

• Hoping someone can help....

One of our users is using Access to connect thru ODBC to pull data that will update Access tables on her local machine. Recently she has begun recieving the error 'Operation must use an updateable query.'

Has anyone else experienced this type of error? I can re-create the same error on Windows XP/2000 with Office 2000/XP....

I'm at a loss as to what could be causing the problem. Thanks in advance for your help :: MATT

• A couple of different things could be causing this.

1.  NO primary key on one of the tables

2.  The UPDATE is attempting to UPDATE more than 1 table

thats all I have for now....

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Also refresh the linked tables through the tools menu in case the structure of the table has changed.

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

• Putting a primary key on the table didn't work and there is only 1 simple table being updated.

• I just updated the linked tables...Unfortunately that did not help at all.

Thank you guys very much for your suggestions...please keep them coming!

• Try to delete and rebuild this link from scratch, do not just refresh. 

MS Access will ask you about unique key, make sure you select unique key. Good luck!

• Is the Access file read-only?

• HI

Its not much more just changing rights at databse directory.

just check the rights at directory when u are placing ur Databse.

grant full permission to that directory as well databse..

it will work fine,

I checked this tip, when i got same error.

apply and enjoy.....

• I have full rights on the file and I'm also a DBO on the SQL Table with a DSN using NT Auth. I don't believe that rights are the issue.

• The file is NOT read-only.

Thanks for the help!

• Just rebuilding the link did not work, however when I rebuilt and selected a unique key it did seem to work in one example. I will test more and let you know how I make out.

In the past we have experienced problems with defining unique keys through DSN's, is there any downfall to choosing a DSN or choosing a unique key that differ from the keys on the SQL Table?

Thanks for the idea, I hope it will be a working solution. I'll post more later.

:: MATT

• In Access, when you pull up the linked table in design mode, is the unique key recognized and marked as the primary key?

• Hi,

Try setting rights on the folder in which the mdb reside in.

• For all of the tables yes, but some of the linked views do not have their keys defined.

Thanks!

• I have more full permissions to the directory that the .mdb resides in. I have tried running the update query with the .mdb in numerous places with all rights with out success.

Thank you for the response!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply