HELP :: Operation must use an updateable query.

• Whenever I've experienced this problem in the past, it was because the Internet Guest account (IUSR_MACHINE), which is by default part of the "Everyone" group, does not have Write permissions on the database file (.mdb). To fix this problem, use the Security tab in Explorer to adjust the properties for this file so that the Internet Guest account has the correct permissions. Even though you have full permissions, it is the account that the website is running under that needs the permission.

A second cause of this error is that the database was not opened with the correct MODE for writing. If you perform the Open on the Connection object, you use the Mode property to indicate the permissions on the connection - for example...

SQL = "UPDATE Products Set UnitPrice = 2;"

Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

Conn.Mode = 3      '3 = adModeReadWrite

Conn.Open "myDSN"

Conn.Execute(SQL)

Conn.Close

By default the mode is 0 which generally allows updates, but setting the mode manually often clears up the problem.

Good Luck!

• Thanks Earl! I'm not running the query through IIS, It is being manually run in Access. Almost all of the documentation of this error online is regarding IIS =(.

Appriciate your help.

• If any of the linked tables that do not have an assigned key in them are used in your update query, the query will not work.  All tables within an update query must have a defined unique key and the results of query must be for unique records on the updated table.  Hopes this helps.

• It does help, the user is running update queries again with out any errors. Thanks for the help everyone! I wouldn't have been able to figure that out myself.

Happy Holidays :: MATT

• guys, I'm experiencing a similar problem, the message is generated when I try accessing the DB through the browser.

the most amazing thing is that when I click on properties of the directory in win explorer I don't have the security tab.

Out of tabs General, Sharing, Security, Web Sharing, Customize, the "Security" tab is missing. What gives!?

My XP  used to be SP1, I upgraded it to SP2 using MS update features. Any hints in this situation will be highly appreciated!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply