Help on moving Database between SERVERS

• Hi all

I have a Application server(Web application production 24/7) and DB Server(SQL Server 2000 production 24/7),

I have to move Application as well as DB to the New Server

Please give me recommended step what I have to follow or Refer some links

DB server having Tables,Procs,functions.....etc and DTS jobs

Thanks in Advance

• Back up your databases and restore them on the new server. Lots of discussion about stuff like that on this site. Likewise, you should also be able to find plenty of information about moving DTS packages as well. If there's anything you don't understand, please post again.

John

• Hi all

Thanks for replay,but my problem is little bit different

let me clearly discuess the problem

1.Productuions server having 18 databases

2.Application porting those Databases(24/7)

3.I am not sure in any single instance of time which Database is connected to Application

4.But I have maske sure Database should not Down and Application should work always(people's are working on this DB/Application from different time zones).

so,that I Posted this question,please let me know what is best plan as a DBA I to have implimant

• I don't think you're going to be able to do this without at least a momentary interruption to service as you switch to a different database server. You might want to look at setting up replication from the old databases to the new to keep your downtime to a minimum. As for moving your applications... this is a SQL Server forum so I'm not sure it's the right place to get answers about that.

If this is such a mission-critical system as it sounds then I recommend that you pay an expert to help you with the transition. I'd be surprised if there weren't a few people on this site willing to offer their services!

John

• Hi John

Thanking you very much.

In fact I very particular about Database,yes your may be correct using replication

1.Backup of all systems databases(master,msdb...) and restoring it destination.

2.Replicating UDB

3.make sure that Databases are in sync.

4.One week end/begin port the application to that Server and making that as a Primary.

thanks for help.

• I have 3 words to start with:

Planning, Planning, Planning

These 3 word will be the keys to your project a success. Yes, you have a full blown project in moving this number of production databases and applications from one server to another- whether the destination is clustered server or not !

Since you have multiple databases, 18 of them I believe, that probably means 18 different applications (just a guess). So that means there will be a great deal of coordination and communication needed. Different application have different user availability windows - you mention 2 that have 24x7 windows. Since there are multiple application and databases with multiple user availability windows I would suggest a staged move of the applications/databses.

Planning, Planning, Planning

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply