Help for SQL begginer

• Did you definitely install a SQL instance and not just the tools? They can be installed separately, so it can be a bit confusing. If you look in your Windows services is there one specifically called SQL Server?

• james.h291183 (1/6/2017)

Dot is fine....I'm in the UK 🙂

At the moment it is just connecting, I reckon I could do the restore once I am beyond that.

I'm a bit confused as to what to enter for each of the below, I have tried server name is JamesPC\James and just JamesPC (which is the name of my machine, but no luck);

Server Type

Server Name

Authentication

Login

Password

Currently it is just my Azure subscription details showing to connect, which obviously won't work.

If anyone is happy to Skype and I will share my screen then that would be good.

Try this:

Server type: Database Engine

Server name: JamesPC\James

Authentication: Windows Authentication

User name: N/A

Password: N/A

If your instance of SQL Server is not listening on port 1433 then you'll need either to make sure the SQL Server Browser service is running, or specify the port number with the server name, for example "JamesPC,12345" (without the inverted commas). And, as Beatrix suggested, check that you do indeed have a SQL Server instance called James and that it's actually running. If it still doesn't work, please post the exact error message. You can also look in the errorlog file, which will tell you why authentication failed (assuming that you get past connection and on to authentication - the error message returned to user contains little information, in order not to help attackers).

John

• Ah no, I didn't install SQL Server? Should I delete the whole lot and start again or can I install SQL server on its own?

• You can install it on its own - it's a separate product from SSMS these days. If you're installing on a PC, it needs to be Windows 10 (or at least not Windows 7 - there may be a version in between that it works on).

John

• John Mitchell-245523 (1/6/2017)

You can install it on its own - it's a separate product from SSMS these days. If you're installing on a PC, it needs to be Windows 10 (or at least not Windows 7 - there may be a version in between that it works on).

John

Thanks, downloading now.

• Thanks for your help all of you. Am now in.

Much appreciated.

• Excellent, have fun!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply