Healthcare / Medical sample database?

• Does anyone know of an "AdventureWorks-esque" sample database for the heatlhcare, health insurance or medical industries? I'm currently unemployed, and have plenty of experience looking at manufacturing ERD's, but I'm seeing a bunch of job openings in healthcare. Being able to practice with databases (especially that actually have data in them) would be useful in learning this field, but all I can find when searching is AdventureWorks, Northwind and pubs.

Thanks for your help!

• You should practice with those databases. Practice won't replace real experience. DBs are subject to change from one company to another (unless they use the same 3rd party app).

If you know how to work correctly with dbs, it won't matter if your experience consists on healthcare, manufacturing or sales. You might find that there're some special requirements on security but you can implement them on any db.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (1/19/2015)

You should practice with those databases. Practice won't replace real experience. DBs are subject to change from one company to another (unless they use the same 3rd party app).

If you know how to work correctly with dbs, it won't matter if your experience consists on healthcare, manufacturing or sales. You might find that there're some special requirements on security but you can implement them on any db.

Thank you for the extremely unhelpful and condescending reply.

Yes, I have been "practicing" with AdventureWorks, Northwind and pubs for over a decade now, as well as large production and test databases for multi-million dollar manufacturing companies. Implying that a health insurance billing cycle and a manufacturing bill of materials are the same thing shows your own inexperience.

Stop replying to posts unless you are going to answer the question that is asked. :angry:

Anyway, that being said, is there anyone with an answer to the question, where can you find a sample database for healthcare or health insurance businesses?

• jwiseh (1/19/2015)

Luis Cazares (1/19/2015)

You should practice with those databases. Practice won't replace real experience. DBs are subject to change from one company to another (unless they use the same 3rd party app).

Yes, I have been "practicing" with AdventureWorks, Northwind and pubs for over a decade now, as well as large production and test databases for multi-million dollar manufacturing companies. Implying that a health insurance billing cycle and a manufacturing bill of materials are the same thing shows your own inexperience.

Stop replying to posts unless you are going to answer the question that is asked. :angry:

Anyway, that being said, is there anyone with an answer to the question, where can you find a sample database for healthcare or health insurance businesses?

First, your reply to Luis Cazares was really unnecessary.

Second, you probably aren't going to find a sample database for the healthcare or health insurance business simply due to the nature of these businesses. I have read the same type of ads for database professionals for positions in healthcare or health insurance. Yes, they would prefer individuals with actual experience, but that isn't always possible. Any good database professional should be able to change industries without much difficulty. If you understand database development, can investigate databases and learn the data and the interactions between the tables, you should easily learn what is going on and how to access the data to add value to the organization.

• jwiseh (1/19/2015)

Luis Cazares (1/19/2015)

I'm sorry if you found my reply was condescending. I have no idea of your experience as you have no idea of mine. This site has a wide range of people with different expertise that includes complete newbies to great experts.

I never implied that two different businesses were the same. What I meant is that database development and administration (done correctly) doesn't care of the business. You'll find business rules, legislation and standards that you must follow but those will change for every company.

I hope that you can find what you're looking for but I can only give you a last advice. If you're new on a forum, try to be respectful to the people that are trying to help or you might not get any help at all.

I'm sorry that I have wasted your time.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • First, your reply to Luis Cazares was really unnecessary.

Yes it was. I'm looking for ANSWERS, not OPINIONS. Luis's opinion doesn't answer the question that was asked. Although I appreciate that your response is much more tactful, it doesn't answer the question either...

Forgive me for being tense in my responses. I'm unemployed. My family has grown accustomed to me making the mortgage payment on the house in which they live over the last several years. I'm looking for help getting though job interviews for the health care industry. That being said...

...Yes, they would prefer individuals with actual experience, but that isn't always possible. Any good database professional should be able to change industries without much difficulty....

Yes, this is true. You know that. I know that. However, the people glaring across the interview desk don't. If you have no prior health care experience, they won't let you touch their databases, no matter how quickly you can get up to speed on them.

When I look for jobs in my area, I find 2 for manufacturing companies, and about 50 in health care. Familiarity with health care industry ERD's would be helpful in answering their interview questions. It's one thing to know the mechanics of how a foreign key relationship joins two entities (after over a decade of database development, I've pretty much got that down). It's another to have understanding of what real world entities that those database tables represent, and to explain that to HR personnel in layman's terms during a job interview.

Anyway, that being said, is there anyone with an answer (not an opinion) to the question, where can you find a sample database for healthcare or health insurance businesses? If you don't know of any, please hold your responses, so someone who knows the answer can get through...

• I'm sorry if you found my reply was condescending. I have no idea of your experience as you have no idea of mine. This site has a wide range of people with different expertise that includes complete newbies to great experts.

I apologize as well. I'm under a lot of pressure, and need an answer to this question. I'm sorry I got so irritated.

...What I meant is that database development and administration (done correctly) doesn't care of the business...

Again, you know that, and I know that, but hiring managers in a job interview don't care. They want someone who has worked with health care databases specifically.

• Not sure if this helps, but it is one site I found using bing:

http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/databases.jsp

• Also, if you were brought in for interviews with these companies knowing you had no experience in the healthcare industry, tells me they thought you had potential. If all they really wanted was people with actual healthcare experience they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of bringing you in, they would have rejected you when they evaluated your resume or cv.

• Wow, Lynn, this is certainly helpful! Although it's more complex than just attaching an .mdf file, perhaps I can use this to build the table structure, and do something like create an SSIS package to extract AdventureWorks 'customers' and transform them into HCUP-DB 'patients' or something. THIS is what I was looking for, thank you so much for your help!

If anyone knows of any other health care databases, feel free to post them as well. Thank you!

• Hi guys,

The organization HL7.Org (Health Level 7) has recommended standards for database designs and inter-app communications for electronic medical and health records,

patient admitting systems, etc. Its complicated but has a ton of info.

The organization CDISC.org (Clinical Data Exchange Consortium) has more data-ish oriented models that are basically XML standards for conveying information. Probably not as relevant but worth looking at if you have the time.

• As someone with quite a bit of experience (8.5 years) in the Healthcare Industry in software development and databases, I can tell you that both Luis and Lynn are 100% correct. You DO NOT need specific healthcare database experience. Every provider, practice, hospital, insurance company and any other entity uses their own Database architecture and design. NOTHING will translate more than basic DB design and implementation to healthcare. Specifically to the Database that that company is using (i.e. SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc.)

Yes, there are some items that you need to be familar with, HL7, EDI 4010, and EDI 5010, but you can't be expected to know those in depth because the manuals for them run over $1000 each.

Fun Fact about Healthcare DB design: Very few use an OLTP design with full normalization (3NF or better). Most use a design that might make a 1NF, but is likely not in a Normal Form. Why? Because you are dealing with both patient data and financial information which does not change quickly (once per 30 days on average), and needs extensive daily aggregate reporting on all sides without having rounding errors.

jwiseh (1/19/2015)

Wow, Lynn, this is certainly helpful! Although it's more complex than just attaching an .mdf file, perhaps I can use this to build the table structure, and do something like create an SSIS package to extract AdventureWorks 'customers' and transform them into HCUP-DB 'patients' or something. THIS is what I was looking for, thank you so much for your help!

If anyone knows of any other health care databases, feel free to post them as well. Thank you!

• mtlsql - Monday, January 19, 2015 12:56 PM

Does anyone know of an "AdventureWorks-esque" sample database for the heatlhcare, health insurance or medical industries? I'm currently unemployed, and have plenty of experience looking at manufacturing ERD's, but I'm seeing a bunch of job openings in healthcare. Being able to practice with databases (especially that actually have data in them) would be useful in learning this field, but all I can find when searching is AdventureWorks, Northwind and pubs. Thanks for your help!

I don't think there is such a database, but since I had the experience of working with healthcare data I would try to point out some important things which will be needed in the healthcare industry.
    1. Knowledge of the terminology - (Modality(Group of CPT codes), CPT (Current Procedural Terminology (Used in America)), ICD(international equivalent of CPT codes)).
    2. Pivoting the data, Joins, Dynamic SQL, correlated queries.
    3. Out of the above mentioned - we mostly had to use Pivoting with Dynamic sql .
    4. As mentioned in point 1 Modality and CPT data were sent from the client. There was a more abstract categorization of the data but that was business specific not related to medical terminology so I won't mention it here. 
    5. MDX queries, multidimensional Modelling, Cubes etc.

We had used pivoting controls from devexpress, but the speed was too slow(minutes) when loading a single report or for single change in web, so we had to use SQL and make stored procedures with dynamic sql and used them as backend for a javascript and .net front end. We later started using SSAS(sql server analysis services) as a backend whichwas tremendously fast. Hope this information helps.
    I  was lucky to get into such a project even though I was a fresher to the Healthcare Industry. I wish you all the best if you are still trying. Please send me a message if you need more details that could help you.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I just wanted to reply to the question that was asked regarding a sql medical db. I found this on the following site:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Healthcare-User-Group/General-Hospital-SQL-Server-BAK-file/td-p/1493132

Hope this helps!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply