Having difficulty accessing the default instance

• I've installed SQL Server 2005 Developer edition (64bit version) on my Vista 64bit machine. After installing it the only thing I can find it the SQLEXPRESS instance. I cannot find the default instance. I tried putting the installation DVD back in and reinstall it, but it says the default instance is already there.

So, why can't I see it and open it?

Rod

• Is the SQL Server service running?

Kindest Regards,

WRACK
    CodeLake

• [font="Verdana"]Can you check in SQL Server configuration manager whether the below service exists?

SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)

I think both the instances in on same port, create alias receptively and then try working on it[/font]

• vidhya sagar (6/25/2008)

[font="Verdana"]Can you check in SQL Server configuration manager whether the below service exists?

SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)

I think both the instances in on same port, create alias receptively and then try working on it[/font]

I have just checked in SQL Server Configuration Manager, and have found that SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) is running. However, both the SQL Server Browser and the SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) are not running. When I look at my machine's Services applet I see that the SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) is set to start manually, and the SQL Server Browser is disabled.

Could either of these, or both of them, be the cause of my problem?

Rod

• [font="Verdana"]Hi,

Apply SP2 for the default instance and then try connecting to it.

What is the error message you are getting while connecting to the default instance?[/font]

• I cannot connect to the default instance, because it does not show up in the dropdown as a database to connect to in SSMS. So, there's no error message. And off the top of my head, I don't know how to connect to it other than through the dropdown in SSMS.

It appears as though I already have SP2 installed. At least it is installed for SQLEXPRESS.

Rod

• Since this is the default instance, you can type in one of the following to connect:

(local)

localhost

computername

Another option is to browse for more in the drop-down. That should give you a list of all local servers with another tab for network servers.

Note: the drop-down does not automatically find all SQL Servers that are available to be connected to. You have to type it in the first time and then again any time that entry rolls of the list. The list is maintained as a MRU (most recently used) type of list.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams (6/27/2008)

Since this is the default instance, you can type in one of the following to connect:

(local)

localhost

computername

Another option is to browse for more in the drop-down. That should give you a list of all local servers with another tab for network servers.

Note: the drop-down does not automatically find all SQL Servers that are available to be connected to. You have to type it in the first time and then again any time that entry rolls of the list. The list is maintained as a MRU (most recently used) type of list.

Yeah! That did it!! I had, erroneously assumed that the dropdown actually went and searched for all potential SQL instances, both locally and on the network. I didn't realize that it was an MRU. Thank you!

Rod

• Doctor Who 2 (6/28/2008)

Jeffrey Williams (6/27/2008)

Since this is the default instance, you can type in one of the following to connect:

(local)

localhost

computername

Yeah! That did it!! I had, erroneously assumed that the dropdown actually went and searched for all potential SQL instances, both locally and on the network. I didn't realize that it was an MRU. Thank you!

Well it can if you select the right things, but even then it wouldn't have worked because the Browser service wasn't running.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Ah, that is good to know, rbarry, about the Browser service. So, if it were running, then I could have browsed to my local instance. Thank you for the info!

Rod

• Yes, that's what the Browser service does: It enables browsing to the SQLServer Instances on that server.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply