Happy Birthday USA!

• Grant, the lesson here might be 'Don't kick an old dog'.

My task this morning is to create SQL code that will convert text fractional stock prices to six decimal place numeric.

Gotta go!

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Best of luck. If you have some spare time, please build me a tool that easily, simply, and quickly, subsets data for test systems with minimal customization or programming. Thanks!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Best of luck. If you have some spare time, please build me a tool that easily, simply, and quickly, subsets data for test systems with minimal customization or programming. Thanks!

There is this company called "Red" something or other that has two tools called "SQL Clone" and "SQL Data Generator". Our QA department were using it a while back.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• skeleton567 wrote:

Eric M Russell wrote:

skeleton567 wrote:

Eric M Russell wrote:

I have no problem with the USA flag, but I wouldn't mount it in my front yard, for much the same reason that I only wear company branded polo shirts to company events.

Well, you just lost my respect with that virtue-signaling crap.  Get over it.  That's just another of those emotional outburst people use when they have nothing better to contribute.  I'm done with this, and my "Star Spangled Banner Yet Waves O'er The Land Of The Free And The Home Of The Brave".

Let's get back to SQL Server, OK?

No problem. It's just that many folks use the American flag and Pledge of Allegiance to obfuscate otherwise un-American values, so a landscape full of flags and slogans has no meaning to me. The best way to express patriotism to to respect the rights of others.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Wow... ok.  I raise my drink to all of you, thank my lucky stars that I "know" all of you, and be incredibly thankful that we all live in a country where we can express virtually any opinion in public mostly without fear of reprisal from those in power.  I wish everyone had that good fortune.

Thank you founding fathers and all of those that have helped "keep it" since then.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Whatever happened to the emoji feature? Sometimes I feel like we post something and the underlying emotion is taken out of context.

• Eric M Russell wrote:

Whatever happened to the emoji feature? Sometimes I feel like we post something and the underlying emotion is taken out of context.

Eric, maybe I didn't understand your meaning then when you said:

"so for everyone to mount a flag in their front yard seems to me like a form of virtue signaling."

And then you came back later with:

"It's just that many folks use the American flag and Pledge of Allegiance to obfuscate otherwise un-American values"

I really don't think I missed the 'underlying emotion' on either of those. Can you please explain to me why you feel that my flag display is anything but patriotic? Is it something that offends you or makes you feel bad about yourself?

And I really don't understand what I have done to 'obfuscate otherwise un-american values'. What are those values that are so distasteful to you? And what did I do that you thought was un-American?

Before my stint of 42 years in IT, I received my degree in Psychology, Sociology, and Education, so think I somewhat understand  these kind of things. I don't feel I needed an emoji to get your point.

Rick

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Wow... ok.  I raise my drink to all of you, thank my lucky stars that I "know" all of you, and be incredibly thankful that we all live in a country where we can express virtually any opinion in public mostly without fear of reprisal from those in power.  I wish everyone had that good fortune.

Thank you founding fathers and all of those that have helped "keep it" since then.

Very true, sir.  Facts are scientific while opinions are emotional, pure and simple.

Rick

• skeleton567 wrote:

Eric, maybe I didn't understand your meaning then when you said:

"so for everyone to mount a flag in their front yard seems to me like a form of virtue signaling."

And then you came back later with:

"It's just that many folks use the American flag and Pledge of Allegiance to obfuscate otherwise un-American values"

First, let me just say that my comments weren't directed at you personally. I was just commenting on the topic of displaying flags in general. So, here is what I meant by "virtue signaling": It's sort of like on FaceBook or Twitter where 100,000 people click the like button or re-tweet an add for cancer research, but only 100 actually donate any money - it's just meaningless clutter.

My point was that displaying a flag doesn't make someone patriotic, it's about our personal values and dedication to the greater good of our country. There are a lot of people (not you or I) that wave the flag and make noise but don't really get it.

Here is a case in point: Many of the folks who stormed and ransacked the US Capitol building on Jan 6 were carrying an American flag - an even using the flag as a weapon to attack police. They (not you or I) seemed oblivious to the irony of displaying an American flag alongside the Confederate Battle flag and even flags used by separatist groups. The presence of the flag doesn't add credibility to what they did and represent. When someone displays a flag, it could mean they are standing up for just about anything.

• Eric M Russell wrote:

skeleton567 wrote:

... Eric, maybe I didn't understand your meaning then when you said: "so for everyone to mount a flag in their front yard seems to me like a form of virtue signaling."

And then you came back later with: "It's just that many folks use the American flag and Pledge of Allegiance to obfuscate otherwise un-American values"

First, let me just say that my comments weren't directed at you personally. I was just commenting on the topic of displaying flags in general. So, here is what I meant by "virtue signaling": It's sort of like on FaceBook or Twitter where 100,000 people click the like button or re-tweet an add for cancer research, but only 100 actually donate any money - it's just meaningless clutter.

My point was that displaying a flag doesn't make someone patriotic, it's about our personal values and dedication to the greater good of our country. There are a lot of people (not you or I) that wave the flag and make noise but don't really get it.

Here is a case in point: Many of the folks who stormed and ransacked the US Capitol building on Jan 6 were carrying an American flag - an even using the flag as a weapon to attack police. They (not you or I) seemed oblivious to the irony of displaying an American flag alongside the Confederate Battle flag and even flags used by separatist groups. The presence of the flag doesn't add credibility to what they did and represent. When someone displays a flag, it could mean they are standing up for just about anything.

Not that you need any confirmation there but wanted to let you know that you're not alone in those feelings or those observations.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Eric M Russell wrote:

First, let me just say that my comments weren't directed at you personally. I was just commenting on the topic of displaying flags in general. So, here is what I meant by "virtue signaling": It's sort of like on FaceBook or Twitter where 100,000 people click the like button or re-tweet an add for cancer research, but only 100 actually donate any money - it's just meaningless clutter."It's just that many folks use the American flag and Pledge of Allegiance to obfuscate otherwise un-American values" My point was that displaying a flag doesn't make someone patriotic, it's about our personal values and dedication to the greater good of our country. There are a lot of people (not you or I) that wave the flag and make noise but don't really get it. Here is a case in point: Many of the folks who stormed and ransacked the US Capitol building on Jan 6 were carrying an American flag - an even using the flag as a weapon to attack police. They (not you or I) seemed oblivious to the irony of displaying an American flag alongside the Confederate Battle flag and even flags used by separatist groups. The presence of the flag doesn't add credibility to what they did and represent. When someone displays a flag, it could mean they are standing up for just about anything.

Well, in that context, then I would say that most of what occurs these days in the name of 'free speech' is in fact closer to domestic terrorism. I was there in the 1960's when the so-called 'rioting' was usually a lot of people standing around listening to someone singing and playing some really great folk music, smoking weed, and protesting things they disagreed with. Nobody got maimed or killed. There was, of course, some destructive activity but nowhere near the extent of today. And typically those folks were treated harshly.

It is interesting that you chose the January 6 event for illustration but overlook the George Floyd situation. True, the January 6 event got out of hand, but I do personally believe that it was based initially on our actually having fairly wide-spread election fraud, and this was the eventual outcome of a problem not being resolved. And yes, you are correct there were flags being displayed.

My interpretation of the George Floyd event involves several considerations. Mr Floyd was not an innocent upstanding law-abiding citizen simply protesting. If he had been home watching TV or out working a job, he would still be alive today. Possibly if he had not had entanglement in illegal activities the same would be true. I do not hold the officer 100% responsible for what happened to a threatening individual breaking the law.

Sure, you can argue that it was 'free speech'. I maintain that what today is called free speech is actually no such thing. I firmly believe that FREE SPEECH and PEACEFUL ASSEMBLY are guaranteed PRIVILEGES. Note that I said PRIVILEGE, not right. But I also maintain that what occurs today under this guise has nothing to do with what the Founding Fathers intended. It is the assuption of RESPONSIBILITY that GIVES the PRIVILEGE.

As far as the concept of 'virtue signaling', rioting, destruction, and killing are to me the penultimate example. It's more about getting attention and getting your way than fixing problems. If these folks were truly dedicated to the 'change' they advocate, they would get registered and legally vote for their 'ideals'.

The simple difference is that I DISPLAY my flag. I don't BURN it. My flag is not a free pass to breaking the law.

Rick

• skeleton567 wrote:

My interpretation of the George Floyd event involves several considerations. Mr Floyd was not an innocent upstanding law-abiding citizen simply protesting. If he had been home watching TV or out working a job, he would still be alive today. Possibly if he had not had entanglement in illegal activities the same would be true. I do not hold the officer 100% responsible for what happened to a threatening individual breaking the law.

I do, I believe that police should be able to get their suspect to a jail cell if he is successfully arrested, and I don't see why this couldn't happen with Mr. Floyd. Couldn't he have been kept alive, arrested, the suspected counterfeit bill collected and the whole thing just processed through the legal system, including inspecting the bill itself to find where it came from? Even if Mr. Floyd had a full up counterfeiting operation, does every crime have to warrant the death penalty implemented at the very moment of arrest without a trial?

I'm hoping that I'm just misinterpreting your post so if needed let me know where I'm mistaken.

• x wrote:

skeleton567 wrote:

I do, I believe that police should be able to get their suspect to a jail cell if he is successfully arrested, and I don't see why this couldn't happen with Mr. Floyd. Couldn't he have been kept alive, arrested, the suspected counterfeit bill collected and the whole thing just processed through the legal system, including inspecting the bill itself to find where it came from? Even if Mr. Floyd had a full up counterfeiting operation, does every crime have to warrant the death penalty implemented at the very moment of arrest without a trial?

I'm hoping that I'm just misinterpreting your post so if needed let me know where I'm mistaken.

No, I stated exactly what I intended.

Ironically, this weekend my visiting son is telling me stories of his experiences as an auxiliary officer for the Florida Highway Patrol.  He puts his life on the line every time he goes out alone to enforce the law on the highways, byways, and streets.

"police should be able to get their suspect to a jail cell if he is successfully arrested".

No argument with that.  The hooker is that 'IF' in your statement.

Especially all of you on here are supposed to be logical thinkers by evidence of your interests.

Rick

• Especially all of you on here are supposed to be logical thinkers by evidence of your interests.

Heh I found out pretty early on that the ability to use a computer is a very inadequate kook filter.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply