Grow Your Family

• This year I made it a priority to get to a few conferences (SQL in the City, SQL Saturday, CodeStock), and they were all beneficial. Plus I enjoyed the time I spent meeting new people. Sometimes I learn new things, and sometimes I find that i'm already doing something right (or as best as can be done). I hope I can make it back to some of these next year.

Tony
    ------------------------------------
    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

• Beatrix Kiddo (10/18/2013)

John Mitchell-245523 (10/18/2013)

Beatrix, where are you based? There should be a user group[/url] near you. There only about once a month, so it's not much of a time commitment unless you decide to get more involved.

John

I'm in London. Thanks for that; I think I signed up for one of those yesterday. I signed up for a few! It's a bit intimidating, but I'm sure the first time is the hardest. You all seem to get a lot out of it.

It is intimidating, but most of us are just regular people. Just excuse yourself, say hi and tell someone your name. Tell them it's your first time and they'll take care of you.

• Gary Varga (10/18/2013)

I work freelance, often outside of any major city here in the UK, so I find it difficult to attend during the week. During the weekend I have other commitments (family & hockey mainly). Whilst I would like to see more people face-to-face, I do find that those of us who only have an online presence in the community are made as welcome as those who meet face-to-face. Obviously, when you meet people in person there is an opportunity of a more of a intimate bonding, however, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be completely absent otherwise...and for that I thank you all.

It's definitely nice to touch people online.

I get busy as well, and rarely attend the groups out here, but I make an effort once or twice a year to take time out of my schedule.

• fificito (10/18/2013)

Yes!!! Of course I want to network... The thing is, there are hardly any events in Mexico City... Are you willing to organize them?

Why don't you organize one? It's costly and not efficient for someone outside of the area to do it. However, I'm sure there's an MS office in Mexico City. There's been a SQL Saturday there. It doesn't take that much to organize a meeting or even an event.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/18/2013)

Beatrix Kiddo (10/18/2013)

Beatrix, where are you based? There should be a user group[/url] near you. There only about once a month, so it's not much of a time commitment unless you decide to get more involved.

John

I'm in London. Thanks for that; I think I signed up for one of those yesterday. I signed up for a few! It's a bit intimidating, but I'm sure the first time is the hardest. You all seem to get a lot out of it.

It is intimidating, but most of us are just regular people. Just excuse yourself, say hi and tell someone your name. Tell them it's your first time and they'll take care of you.

I'm going to do it. I'm also going to check back that Nick H and BWFC go to theirs ;-).

John

I know it is intimidating. The most I could muster was to attend sessions where you and others from this forum were the speakers at SQLSaturday in Omaha. Maybe next time?

It's definitely nice to touch people online.

Sounds weird when taken out of context đŸ˜€

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Beatrix Kiddo (10/18/2013)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/18/2013)

John

I'm going to do it. I'm also going to check back that Nick H and BWFC go to theirs ;-).

I've got to sell it to my boss first but as it means a day out in Manchester he'll probably want to come along too. I'll keep you posted.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (10/21/2013)

I've got to sell it to my boss first but as it means a day out in Manchester he'll probably want to come along too. I'll keep you posted.

We're working on a bigger more in-depth MSDN article on this front, but if you need a hand on convincing your boss, here are some useful resources for gathering ammunition:

http://www.sqlrelay.co.uk/whyattend.html

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2013/09/how-to-get-your-manager-to-pay-for-training/[/url]

• Steph Locke (10/21/2013)

BWFC (10/21/2013)

We're working on a bigger more in-depth MSDN article on this front, but if you need a hand on convincing your boss, here are some useful resources for gathering ammunition:

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2013/09/how-to-get-your-manager-to-pay-for-training/[/url]

Thanks for those. I don't think it'll be a particularly difficult sell though; it's a day out, we're quiet and most importantly, it's free. We're possibly moving sites to a place near where the event is taking place so I could even dress it up as a chance for a CTR on the new building. The only problem is he's not around to ask at the moment.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (10/21/2013)

Steph Locke (10/21/2013)

BWFC (10/21/2013)

Thanks for those. I don't think it'll be a particularly difficult sell though; it's a day out, we're quiet and most importantly, it's free. We're possibly moving sites to a place near where the event is taking place so I could even dress it up as a chance for a CTR on the new building. The only problem is he's not around to ask at the moment.

Great stuff! Always good to double up on reasons to do something đŸ™‚

• I got a twitter account two years back and have used it just a little. The entire experience was useless.

Maybe it is time to try again.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Miles Neale (10/21/2013)

I got a twitter account two years back and have used it just a little. The entire experience was useless.

M.

You need to have a community of friends to follow and interact with. It's like going to a bar or party where you don't know anyone and don't have common interests. It's not much fun if you don't have something in to talk about.

Twitter is a water cooler in a busy hallway. People walk by and say something and you have a 5 minute conversation with a person, or random people passing through.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/21/2013)

Miles Neale (10/21/2013)

I got a twitter account two years back and have used it just a little. The entire experience was useless.

M.

You need to have a community of friends to follow and interact with. It's like going to a bar or party where you don't know anyone and don't have common interests. It's not much fun if you don't have something in to talk about.

Twitter is a water cooler in a busy hallway. People walk by and say something and you have a 5 minute conversation with a person, or random people passing through.

Problem is that all social media including Twitter is not allowed for those of us who work in some of the areas of government. So at work I cannot even open a session of Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn. When I am at home I do not believe I should let the work dominate the day.

I will not address the wisdom of government, but some times a person questions some of these out-of-date rules.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• You shouldn't have twitter on all the time. I'd check it 5 minutes a day, maybe see if there's something to interact with, and ignore it the rest of the time. A few periodic checks/posts are all you need to do some networking and meet people.

Of course, I'd say that interacting with people here is the same thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply