Green Machines

• Here's another battle between Microsoft and Google: Who's Greener?.

This might be taking the rivalry a bit far, but it's a good, healthy, and environmentally friendly competition. After all, both of these companies employ some of the brightest people in the world (notice I'm not working there) and maybe they'll solve some of the energy issues facing technology companies.

It's great to see them both making great strides, both internally for the company as well as helping employees to be more energy efficient. Each takes different tacts in doing this, although interestingly enough, both use Toyota Prius's in their programs.

I've looked at a Prius, seriously lately, though I'd rather buy a GM, Dodge, Ford or other American car. Seems kind of silly to pay for an energy efficient car and ship it halfway around the world. But so far the US manufacturers really haven't done a great job building energy and cost-efficient vehicles.

The cost of electricity, in ways other than financial, will continue to rise as we use more and more and our some of our natural resources dwindle in supply. Hopefully we'll continue to see more and more companies making efforts to reduce all the costs in my lifetime.

Steve Jones

• "Seems kind of silly to pay for an energy efficient car and ship it halfway around the world."

Sorry, Steve, but I've got to question your logic there.  When compared to the energy that you'd save by using a Prius or similar car over the next 10 years, the energy required to ship it across the Pacific is completely inconsequential.

And anyway, by buying a Toyota you'd also be assured of a far finer product than Detroit can muster...

-----------------

C8H10N4O2

• I don't know about that.  The Prius yes is nice but when the best efficiency comes at city driving you need to really evaluate how you will use it.  I on the otherhand would recommend a little diesel car.  If you can still get your hands on one of the 2005.5 or 2006 diesel VW Jetta's I would recommend it.  The are not even close to what you think of diesel vehicles.  They do not smell, smoke or even sound like a diesel for that matter.  And at EPA estimated 42 MPG and actual of around 50 (avg speed 70MPH) I figure that isn't so bad.  And most of the emmissions are lower than Gasoline engines.  Not only that, a lot less is invested into refining diesel.  Soybeans anyone?  When we hit another fuel crisis (which I figure we will if American automakers don't start moving forward) you can switch to burning biodiesel without making any mechanical changes to the car.  It is also said to burn cleaner as well as be better for your engine.  Ah the future.

Enjoy!

• The notion of "American car" vs. "Import" these days tends to be more about where head office is located than where the car is actually built anyway.  And with all the partnerships and consolidation even that isn't as clear any more.  Rumour has it that the Prius may be produced in the States at some point soon .... http://news.windingroad.com/?p=61

• When our current lease is up, we're looking at one of the diesel hybrid trucks they're starting to make.  We have a small farm, and need something that can haul a horse trailer to the vets, or the trainer's now and again, but the gas costs a fortune... Not long ago we saw a diesel hybrid that not only got decent mileage, and had decent power, but could also power 4 households in case of a power outage the built in generator is a nice bonus.

• The generator is a nice option. Which truck was that?

And I still think it's silly to ship around the world. The point I was trying to make is that we can and should be building more efficient vehicles here rather than silly promotions like GM paying for gas for a year if you buy a guzzler.

• Dodge Ram HEV

only a 15% increase in fuel economy... but... it's american made (ok, so dodge isn't really american anymore... but...) and it's diesel..

Unluckily, us normal people can't buy them yet... even though they sold their initial production run of 100 of them before the first one even came off the assembly line.

there's other choices, I just got a big kick out of it being able to power 4 households... living out in the middle of nowhere in an area that gets some nasty ice storms... the ability to plug in some heaters could be a real life saver.

• Seems hybrids are a scam.  Trade a higher sticker price for a more complex system that will cost more to maintain.. gotta buy more batteries now too, and then understand that "mileage ratings" are from a "car treadmill test" not real-world driving, so 50 mph claims are just that...  Hybrid sales are mostly from the people who want to "appear green" all the while the big oil companies, ie. BP, want us to count our "carbon footprint".  Ever get the feeling, "they" choose the technology and then when it eats the earth's resources unnecessarily, we are supposed to feel guilty and conserve?

America didn't become a world power by conserving every drop of petrol.

Rethink what a hybrid car really is, a short sighted technology to keep the gas flowing from the Middle East while we get all warm and fussy about how we've "pushed the envelope" on the war against global warming.

• I'd have to agree.  But, it's a start.  probably too little too late though.  From what I understand China is busy building a Hydrogen infrastructure that should easily make the transition away from fossil fuels as alternative energy sources become a more economical alternative.  Meanwhile back in the US, we're extatic that we get an extra 10mpg city, and virtually no difference highway. 

Of course, There are those few real enthusiasts that clock their MPG meter, and plug up their hybrids every night, and somehow manage to eke in excess of 70mpg out of a tricked out gas/electric hybrid... almost impressive.

So far, the US has two sound alternatives we should be looking at, corn based fuels, and biodiesel.  Along with starting to build a hydrogen infrastructure in some of our denser urban areas, and incentives for hydrogen motors. 

As it stands though, we all stand up and cheer every time gas dips below 2.75 a gallon.... does anyone else remember being outraged at $1.20?

</rant>

• Steve,

the shipping argument is not real.  A lot of 'American' cars are built offshore.  A lot of Toyotas are built in the US.  You'd have to look at the VIN number to know where it was built.  Is it better to get a Tennesee or Ohio 'Japanese import' or a Mexican built Chevy?  or a South American VW?  or one of the many smaller fords built in Europe (well ok the Atlantic is smaller than the Pacific)? 

As for the alcohol stuff, we won't have the infrastructure for years if we get serious NOW.  How likely is that given that the politicians and public have known of this problem since at least the '73 gas crisis and have not done squat in the ensuing 30+ years.

• I'm thinking Steve stirred up a bit of a hornet's nest with the one

I've always tended towards what's the best bang for the buck... I grew up in Lancaster, PA... right around the corner from a Ford plant.  Now I live in Lexington, KY, right around the corner from a Toyota plant.  less transportation costs, tend to lower the best available price by a bit, so, I look at what's local first. 

As for ethanol... I think we could deploy ethanol relatively quickly.  the distribution structure is in place (Current gasoline distribution methods are comprable), which is a HUGE advantage over hoping for a move to hydrogen.  It would atleast be a good step in the right direction to start backing ourselves off of foreign oil. 

All in all, I simpily can't see why the oil companies haven't jumped on ethanol... if they bought up land to grow corn, they could control their costs, and end up making their profits from oil look like a wasted effort.  But, right now, they're making far too much money on markups to think that far ahead.

• In the UK there have been a number of complaints from consumers who have been disappointed with the fuel consumption of the hybrid cars.

I think it is more a case of the spirit of hybrid cars is correct but the implementation is a little flaky.

I have a Ford Focus Diesel and it has never given less than 55 mpg. I know the American Gallon is smaller but I am not sure by how much, so this is around 12 miles per litre.

Of course you could go really green and buy a bike. For 10 years I only used the car for family trips, shopping and miserable weather.

Come to think of it I am sure a motorbike would be greener than a car.

• The thing I love most about hybrids is that many cars use the "hybrid" to give them more horsepower and thus have no better fuel economy than the non hybrid versions however you could squeel your tires from the lights better.  Being the young pup that I am I say we go to 55MPH speed limits as that is where most engines are calibrated for and be done.  Ethanol is not the answer.  Granted i have not done a lot of research however the fact that mileage decreases compared to Gasoline, you need to grow the corn and refine it (labor and energy intensive) and then where are you.  For every x gallons of ethanol produced you used 1.2x to get there.  Sounds like a losing battle by my estimates.  Especially because corn is hard on the land nutrient wise.  Biodiesel however can be made from  waste veg oil, fresh veg oil and yes has overhead and energy to make however it can be all made from other byproducts in my understanding.  This will be interesting to see unfold.  I have never seen a gas crisis.  I will enjoy my diesel.  Granted I am sure i am niave in believing that even during crisis i should be fine but diesel runs the shipping industry thus it will be more stable as the economy would flop with no semi's to deliver goods.

we shall see

• 7 months ago, as I was driving a large box truck half way across the country, I noticed something.  almost every gas station I stopped at for Diesel had atleast biodiesel addative, if not claiming to be just biodiesel.  If that's the case, then I'd expect Diesel to take a minimal hit, because the refining process is already under way to cut back our consumption in that secter.  Granted, I believe BioDiesel is primarily a corn based product as well.  just a different refinement method then ethanol.

Ethanol got a bad wrap.  The oil companies spent a lot of money to convince people that it was very bad.  The truth is, it's just more expensive... for now.  if fuel prices continue to rise as they have for the past several years, within a couple decades, it becomes a viable alternative. 

There was an article in wired a couple months back talking about the alternate energy sources that were out there, and at what cost per barrel they became competative with oil.  I THINK corn based fuels were the first alternatives to become fiscally viable.  But, it runs high enough, and they tweak the tech enough, and solar power stored as hydrogen will be likely to become the best source.  virtually unlimited, and clean. 

All in all, unless the west atleast puts some consequential funding into Hydrogen, and building an infrastructure, we'll find ourselves playing some serious catch-up when the Hydrogen economy hits, and we find ourselves far behind china.  We may have a few decades to get there, but, they already have a head start, and no oil based infrastructure to hold them back.

• Steve,

Toyotas are built just down the street from me in Georgetown, KY.  Hybrids start production there this year.

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/manufacturing/2005/05/17-1-kentucky-hybrid.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply