Grant Fritchey Reviews Minion Reindex

• Does it have the option of generating and displaying the rebuild or reorg commands without actually executing them? I guess I would call this a preview option. It might be useful to see the code that was actually being executed.

Does it run the code in individual commands for each index, or are the commands executed in larger batches?

What are the options for notifying/alerting an administrator that an operation has failed?

• Grant, I appreciate the detail in reviewing Minion Reindex. It's great to have an impartial third party look at something like this and give their thoughts on how well it works.

Sean/Jen - as Grant indicated in the article and in responses, excellent work! This is the sort of thing that really needs to be in the public eye more because it's a huge help to DBAs of all levels - whether they're the "accidental" sort or have many years of experience. I look forward to seeing the enhancements in v2, but greatly appreciate what you've done already.

• Michael Valentine Jones (1/28/2015)

Does it have the option of generating and displaying the rebuild or reorg commands without actually executing them? I guess I would call this a preview option. It might be useful to see the code that was actually being executed.

Does it run the code in individual commands for each index, or are the commands executed in larger batches?

What are the options for notifying/alerting an administrator that an operation has failed?

Yeah, pretty sure it can just generate the commands.

I'll leave the second one alone because I'm not sure of the details precisely there.

It's an Agent job. Anything Agent can do...

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Peter Schott (1/28/2015)

Grant, I appreciate the detail in reviewing Minion Reindex. It's great to have an impartial third party look at something like this and give their thoughts on how well it works.

Sean/Jen - as Grant indicated in the article and in responses, excellent work! This is the sort of thing that really needs to be in the public eye more because it's a huge help to DBAs of all levels - whether they're the "accidental" sort or have many years of experience. I look forward to seeing the enhancements in v2, but greatly appreciate what you've done already.

Thanks. It's actually an impressive set of work. Everyone should check it out whether they decide to use it or not. I'd say it demonstrates quite a lot of good coding practices in addition to what it actually does.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Of course it can print the stmts and it gives you some good info on that as well.

And they're all separate cmds... no batching going on.

These are some pretty basic questions so I'm going to refer you to our webinar where we do a good job of walking you through all the features.

As well, we have individual vids with deep dives on the features.

They can all be found on the Minion Reindex link below. Just click on the little green guy.

Watch my free SQL Server Tutorials at:
    http://MidnightDBA.com
    Blog Author of:
    DBA Rant – http://www.MidnightDBA.com/DBARant

Minion Maintenance is FREE:

• Oh yeah, and for notifying, it does a good job of putting errors in the log. So you'll rarely have a job failure unless something goes wrong in the config and the SP stops for an error. But from something happening during the course of a rebuild, it should capture it and put the error in the log table.

This is a great step forward from having the errors in txt files.

So the method I suggest is to have something mine the log for errors. Just write a query, you can even add it as a 2nd step in the job if you like, that searches where status <> 'Complete'. That'll catch everything. And make sure you check only the last run.

The cool thing about doing it this way is you can monitor only certain tables or even certain schemas, or DBs if you want. I don't believe you'll care that much about everything, but maybe you've got a handful of tables you need extra special alerting on and you want to make extra sure they're not getting errors. You can easily do that here and fold it into any monitoring tool that can consume a table.

Blog Author of:

• After reading the article and the docs, I installed MR on one of my test systems. However, the jobs fail! I get tons of errors like this:

42000] (Error 102) Incorrect syntax near ')'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 102) Incorrect syntax near ')'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 102) Incorrect syntax near ')'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 102) Incorrect syntax near ')'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 102) Incorrect syntax near ')'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 102) Incorrect syntax near ')'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 102) Incorrect syntax near ')'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 102). The step failed.

Gerald Britton, Pluralsight courses

• Hey, thanks for posting the error. I think I *may* know what's happening here.

Ping me offline and I'll work with you on it and then I'll come back here and post the solution when we're done.

Blog Author of:

• OK -- I sent you a private message in the forum

Gerald Britton, Pluralsight courses

• That error was my fault. I posted the wrong package to MidnightSQL.com. I've updated the package, so we should be golden now. Very sorry for the inconvenience!

-Jen

• How did you decide on the license for this? It is a fairly restrictive license, is there a better term for it?

• We're working out a better license wording right now. But, even with the existing wording, Minion Reindex is free to use as much as you want, all over the place: "MidnightSQL Consulting, LLC grants to you as an individual or entity a non-exclusive License to make and use copies of the SOFTWARE in the manner provided below. "

Do you have a particular concern with the wording as is?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply