Got Back up issue for a large database

• Dear All,

Recently in my usual backup, I experienced failure two times!! one was after completing 90% and the other was after 70% Both the times i used SSMS to the same disk. Then on next day i tried the same in a new disk and completed the backup successfully. But the first disk has enough space. But I wonder why this happened and I lost almost 3 days to happen this.Do i need to check the health of my first disk ?

• What's the exact error?

• Thanks for a quick reply!!

Didn't get any error.:( The operation continued for almost 1 day after 90%. i don't have enough time to wait it to complete.

so I stopped it and started the backing up again. Then one more day waited. This time it was 70% and nothing after that.

Then I started backup the third time to a new disk and completed successfully. i used the overwrite option all the times.

Recently one of the disks in my RAID shows some warning lights and the hardware guys gonna fix that. i don't know whether this was issue. But I didn't experience this before. As my database is growing fast, i am very concerned about t his issue. So what you think ?

• Well database growing = longer backups. Nothing weird there.

I'd make sure the hds are fixed before alarming everybody and their spouses.

Any reasons you can't let the backup finish? They usually don't interfere with anything else.

• Yes, I need to load my daily data and create report. The users won't wait for my backup to complete:(. Also i had some limit for the data source and if i stopped collecting data from the source, it will fill and cause losing my daily data.

Can I continue my back up operation while loading data ? pardon my ignorance!

• The backup will keep running without blocking anything else (short of slowing other disk operations).

The backup contains the db image at the time of the END of the backup.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply