Getting the Options

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Getting the Options

• Nice, easy question to start the week on, thanks Steve

• Thanks for the question, Steve! This was fresh on my mind after having recently read jonfrisbee's article on the subject.

• Now, all those in the room that have actually used this function in production, please raise your hand! 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I've used it to troubleshoot, wondering if two connections had different settings. Getting a raw number and comparing them worked for me. I haven't really used this to decode settings in production.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I've used it to troubleshoot, wondering if two connections had different settings. Getting a raw number and comparing them worked for me. I haven't really used this to decode settings in production.

Thanks, Steve.  Haven't had to do such a comparison yet but thanks for the idea.  That would certainly make for a quick and easy check.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Now, all those in the room that have actually used this function in production, please raise your hand! 😀

We have a lot of legacy code that was written loooong before XACT-ABORT.  Most of the newer code uses XACT_ABORT, but sometimes wrapping an older proc causes unexpected results with the error handling and transaction control. So I have had to check whether XACT_ABORT is on, turn it off, wrap the old proc, set XACT_ABORT on again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply