• Steve Jones - SSC Editor

SSC Guru

Comments posted to this topic are about the item Getting the Options

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell

SSC Guru

Nice, easy question to start the week on, thanks Steve

• BTylerWhite

Old Hand

Thanks for the question, Steve! This was fresh on my mind after having recently read jonfrisbee's article on the subject.

• Jeff Moden

SSC Guru

Now, all those in the room that have actually used this function in production, please raise your hand! ๐Ÿ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
    "If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."--Red Adair
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not."
    When you put the right degree of spin on it, the number 3|8 is also a glyph that describes the nature of a DBAs job. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor

SSC Guru

I've used it to troubleshoot, wondering if two connections had different settings. Getting a raw number and comparing them worked for me. I haven't really used this to decode settings in production.

• Jeff Moden

SSC Guru

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I've used it to troubleshoot, wondering if two connections had different settings. Getting a raw number and comparing them worked for me. I haven't really used this to decode settings in production.

Thanks, Steve.ย  Haven't had to do such a comparison yet but thanks for the idea.ย  That would certainly make for a quick and easy check.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
    "If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."--Red Adair
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not."
    When you put the right degree of spin on it, the number 3|8 is also a glyph that describes the nature of a DBAs job. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• DesNorton

SSC-Insane

Jeff Moden wrote:

Now, all those in the room that have actually used this function in production, please raise your hand! ๐Ÿ˜€

We have a lot of legacy code that was written loooong before XACT-ABORT.ย  Most of the newer code uses XACT_ABORT, but sometimes wrapping an older proc causes unexpected results with the error handling and transaction control. So I have had to check whether XACT_ABORT is on, turn it off, wrap the old proc, set XACT_ABORT on again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply