Get the space used for each database in SQL Server instance

• I'm trying to make a minor adjustment to my backup stored procedure but I'm struggling to get the result that I want!

Basically I want to find out the amount of space used by a database (which should be roughly be the same as the size of the backup file) to decide whether I should split my backup into multiple files or not. But for some reason (Friday afternoon thing?!) I can't seem to work out how to do it!

I know there is the sp_spaceused sproc but I don't know how to store the result from this into a table (without making a copy of the sproc and making the changes so it spits out the result into one row!

Please advise.

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
    David Edwards - Media lens[/url]

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

• Use <dbanme>

go

SELECT case

when sysfilegroups.groupname is NULL then 'LOG'

else sysfilegroups.groupname

end filegroup_name

,sum(convert(decimal(12,2),round(sysfiles.size/128.000,2))) as calc_total_mb

,sum(convert(decimal(12,2),round(fileproperty(sysfiles.name,'SpaceUsed')/128.000,2))) as calc_used_mb

,sum(convert(decimal(12,2),round((sysfiles.size-fileproperty(sysfiles.name,'SpaceUsed'))/128.000,2))) as calc_free_mb

,(sum(convert(decimal(12,2),round(fileproperty(sysfiles.name,'SpaceUsed')/128.000,2))) / sum(convert(decimal(12,2),round(sysfiles.size/128.000,2))))*100 calc_used_pc

FROM sys.sysfiles

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.sysfilegroups

ON sysfiles.groupid = sysfilegroups.groupid

group by sysfilegroups.groupname

Let me know if it helps

• Thanks very much for the query but in the end I cannibalised the sp_spaceused sproc to come up with the below:

It gives back the reserved size in MB, and when I tested it against the actual size of the backup it's almost the same give or take a megabyte or two.

DECLARE @Database_Name VARCHAR(50) = 'msdb'

EXEC ('select ltrim(str(sum(a.total_pages) * 8192 / 1024.,15,0) / 1024 )

from ' + @Database_Name + '.sys.partitions p

INNER JOIN ' + @Database_Name + '.sys.allocation_units a

on p.partition_id = a.container_id

left join ' + @Database_Name + '.sys.internal_tables it

on p.object_id = it.object_id')

Now I can use this in my loop so I can work out the size of each database I want to backup

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

• Here's another option if you are interested

http://jasonbrimhall.info/2011/12/05/database-data-and-log-size-info/

and more granular detail

http://jasonbrimhall.info/2011/11/21/table-space-cs-part-deux/

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I usually make use of the FileProperty function. It has served me pretty well.

select fileproperty(name, 'SpaceUsed')/128, size/128

from sys.database_files

Feel free to group by data_space_id, or file_id, if your backups go that way.

• Here is another alternative to get the info for all databases.

CREATE TABLE #FileProp (dbid INT,FILE_ID INT, SpaceUsed DECIMAL(14,2));

GO

EXECUTE sp_MSforeachdb 'USE ?; Insert Into #FileProp (dbid,FILE_ID,SpaceUsed)

SELECT database_id,file_id,FILEPROPERTY(name,''SpaceUsed'') from sys.master_files where DB_NAME(database_id) = ''?'''

SELECT DB_NAME(database_id) AS DBName,physical_name,CONVERT(DECIMAL(14,2),SIZE)/128 AS FileSize, growth

,CONVERT(DECIMAL(14,2),max_size)/128 AS MaxFileSize,FP.SpaceUsed/128 as SpaceUsed,mf.type_desc

FROM sys.master_files mf

INNER JOIN #FileProp FP

ON FP.dbid = mf.database_id

AND FP.FILE_ID = mf.FILE_ID;

DROP TABLE #FileProp;

GO

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Get Server Database File Information

This script gets the file information for every database on a server, and inserts it into temp table which is then queried multiple ways to give various levels of analysis of file space usage.

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=89058

If you want to look at what tables are using the space in a particular database, try this:

Script to analyze table space usage

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61762

• As you want the size of the backup file why don't you go straight to the backup information in msdb..backupset rather than estimate from file information?

something on these lines?

declare @dbname sysname

set @dbname = db_name()

select top 1 backup_start_date, backup_size/1048576 as 'size in MB'

from msdb..backupset

where database_name = @dbname and type = 'D'

order by backup_start_date desc

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks very much all. This is all great code which I have found very useful!

Howard Zinn

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply