Get Some Help

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Get Some Help

• Maybe the Rockies should contact ticketservice.nl

They sell 100.000 Rolling Stones tickets in like 10 minutes or so...

Anyway, hope you'll enjoy Rocktober, Steve 😀

• Let me be the first to say

GO SOX!!!

😀

• Dave F (10/24/2007)

Let me be the first to say

GO SOX!!!

😀

down the drain??!?

Gonna be fun!

• Gotta root for the home town! GO ROCKIES!

• I heard a little bit about the ticket issues yesterday on my drive home.

As far as I know, no priority ticket purchases were offered to anyone. That means that I had as much chance of getting a ticket sitting here in Minnesota as a dedicated Rockies fan who spent thousands of dollars on season tickets. So did all of those guys who make a living selling tickets on E-bay, driving up the demand for tickets.

The other problem are the people who did the estimates. They spec'ed out the capacity at far less than actual demand.

This leads to a problem that I see all of the time in estimates: If the estimate is on a cost, then it will always be underestimated. If it is on an income, then it is guaranteed to be overestimated.

Scott

• Wow - they need to use the ticketing system that handled the Hannah Montana tickets. Those concerts sold out within the first 6 minutes in some places, so we know they can handle the load. That stinks that the Rockies' ticketing system just couldn't handle it.

Gee... the World Series... not a little event... you'd think that they'd overspec their system to handle the load rather than run into problems. Unless their ticketing techies just aren't sports fan...

Even though my Indians got walked over in the last half of their series, I'm still going to cheer for the Sox. Go Sox! 😛

• I particularly like the "malicious attack" theory by unknown people using unknown methods that the Paciolan mgr floated by foxnews. oh - and no logs to back that up either:)

Now THAT's stealth...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I may have to use that 'malicious attack' theory next time I have to explain a problem.

Scott

• Actually season ticket holders bought tickets on Sat and Sun, so they were ok.

Here it was reported a malicious attack, but some rumors have floated from various sources that their system flagged multiple requests from single IPs. Which is silly given that all of Qwest here in Denver, probably 10,000 people, we coming from a limited number of firewall IPs. So they probably got thousands from each firewall/proxy server.

It was poorly designed. CBS Sportsline has had issues during fantasy football and March Madness (basketball), but they've gotten better. Ticketmaster handles events of this size all the time. There are ways to solve this.

The Rockies went with a company that doesn't have sufficient experience in high volume situations and shouldn't have been trusted to do it again. Tues was again a fiasco, but they muddled through it.

• ... it looks like ole Billy Bob is gonna have to move back out east and go back to a makin' 'shine agin' ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I heard they upgraded their Foxplus system to Oracle on Sunday night to handle the expected increase. :Whistling:

Once, I tried to buy NHL tickets to two games, in different cities while on one trip. Couldn't get what I wanted at ticketmaster so I called each team ticket office. Each told me they didn't have any tickets, go bother ticketmaster.

I eventually bought them online through scalper-r-us. No problem finding tickets, nor were the games sold out when we got there. Sure paid a lot for those seats but it was required to keep domestic harmony! :hehe:

I did buy some online tickets for a White Sox's game from their website. No problem. My first (and only) major league game.

After the game, I figured out why I had no problem. Yankees blew them out.

At least the lighting and rain storm that hit the stadium and blew out the lights and darkened part of Chicago was exciting! :w00t::w00t:

• You said, "Or they can't just hire someone like Ticketmaster to handle this." Arrgh. Those are the folks that sold all the Hannah Montana tickets to speculators in a matter of minutes making the opening of our new Sprint center look like a joke. They can sell lots and lots of tickets to robots quite well.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• I'll be interested to find out if anyone "games" the game. In Phoenix when the Diamondbacks won the Series, someone attended all of the Phoenix games on one ticket! They bought a ticket for the first game, went out for a smoke break, got their hand stamped. After that game, they were very careful to preserve the hand stamp. Next game, walked in through the smoker's entrance, showing their hand stamp, no problems. There are always unoccupied seats and other places to watch, so they had no problem seeing the game.

At least in Phoenix, now that all of the tickets are bar-coded, you have to re-scan your ticket stub to get back in from a smoke break.

I recently had to do something that I didn't have a clue how to do it: I wrote a DB for tallying votes for the November muni election. The database design part was easy, only three tables, but LOTS of queries and three procs. An Access program is used for entering results. The tough part was all the ASP to get the results on the web site! We don't have a web manager right now, and no one on staff knows a thing about IIS. I finally got it working, it looks great, and it will be used to feed the City cable tv channel in addition to the web site. It also updates the page every ten seconds, so you never have to refresh your screen. And I've tested it on both Windows and Mac under IE, Firefox, Opera, and Safari.

But I had many unhappy nights while developing it!

(I'm hoping my boss will let me put it on SourceForge when we're done)

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply