Get Particular Date from a Month

• Jeffrey Williams wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

@Jeffrey Williams,

I tested your performance improvements for Peter's code and they're an order of magnitude faster.  Nicely done.  I've also not been able to find a fault in the output with the bit of testing I've done.  This is really cool because of the functionality to work backwards in a month to find the "last" DoW occurrence in a month.  Of course, that can also be done by finding the first occurrence in the next month and then simply subtracting 7 days but it's still handy.  I don't know if it causes and performance loss in having that functionality because I've not tested for that.

Thank you - the functionality is all Peter's work though, and when it comes to date math in SQL Server I trust his work.  I doubt there is any performance hit with using a negative value as @theNthDay - since it all comes down to simple integer math at that point.

I really didn't expect to see any performance improvement though...just restructured and removed the string dates.  I can see the string dates improving performance a little...but didn't think it would be that much faster.

You did good.  Peter's takes over 4 seconds on a million rows.  Yours takes about 380ms.  Like I said, an order of magnitude

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

You did good.  Peter's takes over 4 seconds on a million rows.  Yours takes about 380ms.  Like I said, an order of magnitude

Curious - I am wondering where the improvements are coming from...is it just the change from string dates to integer?  Or is the change from a derived table to CROSS APPLY?

I guess I have some testing to do 🙂

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Curious - I am wondering where the improvements are coming from...is it just the change from string dates to integer?  Or is the change from a derived table to CROSS APPLY?

I guess I have some testing to do 🙂

Heh... and some documentation, please. 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Are you referring to this function?

https://www.sqltopia.com/algorithms/date-and-time/get-the-nth-weekday-of-any-interval/

I can't see that it should take 4 seconds to run over a million date interval?

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

• SwePeso wrote:

Are you referring to this function? https://www.sqltopia.com/algorithms/date-and-time/get-the-nth-weekday-of-any-interval/

I can't see that it should take 4 seconds to run over a million date interval?

That's the one, Peter.  Here's the code I used.  I didn't use SET STATISTICS because it sometimes changes the nature of things when scalar functions are used.

--===== Create a test table that contains random dates and times from 1900-01-01 up to and not
    -- including 2100-01-01.
    DROP TABLE IF EXISTS #MyHead
    ;
    SELECT TOP 1000000
    SomeDateTime = RAND(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))*DATEDIFF(dd,'1900','2100')+CONVERT(DATETIME,'1900') --Inherently DATETIME
    -- SomeDateTime = CONVERT(DATETIME2(7),RAND(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))*DATEDIFF(dd,'1900','2100')+CONVERT(DATETIME,'1900')) --DATETIME2()
    -- SomeDateTime = CONVERT(DATE,ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID())%DATEDIFF(dd,'1900','2100'))+CONVERT(DATETIME,'1900')) --DATE
    INTO #MyHead
    FROM sys.all_columns ac1
    CROSS JOIN sys.all_columns ac2
    ;
    GO
    --===== Peter Larsson's Fuction
    DECLARE @BitBucket DATETIME
    ,@StartDT DATETIME = GETDATE()
    SELECT @BitBucket = dbo.fnGetNthWeekdayOfMonth(SomeDateTime,1,1)
    FROM #MyHead
    ;
    --===== Display the time
    SELECT DurationMS = DATEDIFF(ms,@StartDT,GETDATE())
    ;

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I get 450 milliseconds when using the algorithm as a scalar function.

I get 1000 milliseconds when using the algorithm as an inline table-valued function.

Using the same 1 000 000 rows table as above.

I used the original function found here

https://weblogs.sqlteam.com/peterl/2009/06/17/how-to-get-the-nth-weekday-of-a-month/

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

• SwePeso wrote:

I get 450 milliseconds when using the algorithm as a scalar function. I get 1000 milliseconds when using the algorithm as an inline table-valued function.

I used the original function found here https://weblogs.sqlteam.com/peterl/2009/06/17/how-to-get-the-nth-weekday-of-a-month/

Just to confirm - that is the original function I used.  The differences are minor - modifying from a derived table to cross apply, changing the string dates to integers and removing one of the sign's (sign of the sign?) and a couple variable changes.

The only real difference would be the string dates to integer dates.  And that was done to remove the warnings I was getting for the implicit converts in the execution plans (cardinality estimates).

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

• SwePeso wrote:

I get 450 milliseconds when using the algorithm as a scalar function. I get 1000 milliseconds when using the algorithm as an inline table-valued function.

I used the original function found here https://weblogs.sqlteam.com/peterl/2009/06/17/how-to-get-the-nth-weekday-of-a-month/

Interesting.  I wonder what the differences are in machines/version of SQL Server?  I'm getting 4040ms for yours and about 380 for Jeffrey's.  I'm running SQL Server 2017 Dev Edition at the latest CU, 12 hyperthreaded processors at 4Mhz, with 32GB of ram (24 allocated to SQL Server) with 2TB of NVME SSDs.  This also won't be the first time I've seen something like this... and it confuses the hell out of me every time.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I am using an 8 core laptop with 8 GB of ram and 512 GB SSD disk, SQL Server 2019.

I get consistent 1100 ms with Jeffreys cte.

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

• No wonder mine is faster. SQL Server managed to parallelize my function. With MAXDOP 1 my function runs in 1600 ms and Jeffreys in 1100 ms.

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

• SwePeso wrote:

No wonder mine is faster. SQL Server managed to parallelize my function. With MAXDOP 1 my function runs in 1600 ms and Jeffreys in 1100 ms.

I don't have SQL Server 2019 - so I cannot test.  I wonder if modifying my version to a scalar function would make any difference as an inline-scalar function on 2019.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Mine is still old-fashioned scalar function.

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

• Interesting - earlier you showed that your scalar function ran significantly faster than your inline...I was just curious as to why that would be the case and thought maybe it was because of 2019.

Both versions are very similar...it is very interesting that one was able to use a parallel plan and the other was not.  So which one was able to use a parallel plan?

I am thinking the difference is how SQL Server is generating the plan when using the scalar version vs inline version.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

• SwePeso wrote:

I am using an 8 core laptop with 8 GB of ram and 512 GB SSD disk, SQL Server 2019.

I get consistent 1100 ms with Jeffreys cte.

I'm thinking that SQL Server 2019 is the difference in that case.  The scalar may have automatically gone inline.  I don't have 2019 to test that little theory on.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply