Get Out of Your Comfort Zone!

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Get Out of Your Comfort Zone!

• Heh... "Think outside the box". Good article, Andy. I have a framed sign on my desk that I actually commissioned an artist friend to draw for me. It has a caricature of Cheshire cat sitting in a kitty litter box leaning on the side of the box with his elbows up to his hears with the required ear-to-ear smile. The caption is "Before you can think outside the box, you must first realize... you're in a box." πŸ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Great article Andy. Those type of journeys can be invigorating. The flip side is the person who constantly volunteers and puts themselves "out there" only to crash and burn and take everyone with them. To those people thinking "out side the box" would be to not volunteer, but only to follow the lead of someone else.

<><
    Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.

• You should have triple dog dared if you really want us to do it. πŸ˜› |

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• she says, "No, you'll shoot your eye out. ...

:hehe:

The best minds are not in government. If any were, business would steal them away. ~Reagan

• Great article. I've long argued that "if you want to get anywhere in life, you have to step out of your comfort zone."

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Good editorial. I certainly like my comfort zone and don't like moving out of it. I tried last year, with the idea that I'd speak more, do more community stuff. Worked out OK, but definitely caused some friction at home even though it helped me grow a little in my career.

Not sure what goals to set for next year. I've got one for this year I haven't finished.

• What if stepping outside my comfort zone means forcing other people outside of theirs? Nobody, and I mean nobody, wants me to engage in any sort of public musical performance, even including bar karaoke. That would be outside both my comfort zone, and everyone else's too. πŸ™‚

I guess I could step outside my comfort zone by becoming worried about something or taking on a task and forcing myself to dislike it....

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Good article.

I am sure that Andy did not mean to try something that you are fully unprepared for, or let other people down.

But it does mean that we can really learn when we step into a somewhat different world. I recently took an intense course VMware administration course (no intro stuff, just dig right in), an area that I only had general knowledge of beforehand. I came out knowing a lot more than when I went in.

Actually that's how I came to SQL. Years ago, as a C++ coder, I got an assignment that required a lot of database access....

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• β€’If you’re a developer, ask to be a DBA for a week, and DBA’s, go write code for a week

Hmmm... that would be interesting! In my organization, the former would work out OK (we're pseudo DBAs the way it is). The latter -- not so sure about. The result might be a little scary!

• Thank you for the reminder. I have wondered how well things are received when we create an application for inspectors who crawl into and out of holes all over ships, in and out of underground storage tanks, or get down on their hands and knees to inspect the emergency outflow pipe on a manmade landfill dam. And when we create those processes we have never been there nor done that, and have spoken for about an hour with one or two who actually use to do it.

Better to get out there and see before we suggest reorganization of the entire work flow.

Again great reminder, and appreciate your work!

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• I remember asking Microsoft employees what has ACL got to do with ANSI SQL DCL(data control language) and relational algebra and person told me to get MCDBA ACL is required that is how I got into Microsoft security. I want to stop doing it but find more people either confused about implementation context and Microsoft only providing code and very limited implementation detail.

Then come 9/11 and the Bush administration created millions of security process experts who are clueless about actual security implementation. So the lawyers take over security engineering at Microsoft write enough code to cover all known issues and let the user decide the implementation.

Windows 2008 RC2 comes with ACL improvement but the ACL is still brittle.

:hehe:

πŸ˜‰

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Jeff Moden (12/9/2009)

Heh... "Think outside the box". Good article, Andy. I have a framed sign on my desk that I actually commissioned an artist friend to draw for me. It has a caricature of Cheshire cat sitting in a kitty litter box leaning on the side of the box with his elbows up to his hears with the required ear-to-ear smile. The caption is "Before you can think outside the box, you must first realize... you're in a box." πŸ˜€

Glad to know someone knows what Edward De Bono said πŸ˜‰

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Istvan Varga (12/11/2009)

Jeff Moden (12/9/2009)

Heh... "Think outside the box". Good article, Andy. I have a framed sign on my desk that I actually commissioned an artist friend to draw for me. It has a caricature of Cheshire cat sitting in a kitty litter box leaning on the side of the box with his elbows up to his hears with the required ear-to-ear smile. The caption is "Before you can think outside the box, you must first realize... you're in a box." πŸ˜€

Glad to know someone knows what Edward De Bono said πŸ˜‰

Bono said that? Wow, no idea he could even draw...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Makes me think a little of that interview last night on the Colbert Report where he's interviewing this correspondent for the TV show 60 Minutes. She was over in Helmond Province Afghanistan with our Marines amongst people at war with little or no running water; 4 months pregnant! Why so far out of her comfort zone? One reason is to appreciate normal life once back in the states.

Now I don't ask that much from my colleagues. I'd settle for them doing small things like scripting out a new job or table rather than depending on the SSMS GUI :-D. Getting out of our comfort zone just a little.

Ken

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply