Get DATE part of the DATETIME

• In SQL-Server 2008: usenew datatype date

DECLARE @DateOnly DATETIME

SET @DateOnly = CAST(CAST(GetDate() AS Date) AS DATETIME)

SELECT @dateonly

• SELECT CAST(CAST(GETDATE() AS VARCHAR(11)) AS DATETIME) AS Today

• Slightly tangential, but I like to cast as SMALLDATETIME because I usually cut and paste my results into Excel; If I use a datetime, Excel shows 00:00 or somthing but if I use smalldatetime, it shows it as a date without my formatting it.

What I lack in youth, I make up for in immaturity!

• Also, you can add or subtract days like so:

SET @DateOnly = CAST(FLOOR(CAST(GetDate() AS FLOAT)+1) AS smallDATETIME);

print @DateOnly

Prints just like the original did, but a day later. Subtract 2 and you get two days earlier.

Since DateAdd is apparently high overhead, it seems like a good alternative.

• Any particular reason to resurrect a discussion that's 3 years old? Or just bored?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• It was the "Featured Script" in today's newsletter.

• Ah. That's what I get for not reading the newsletter till after work. 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I use these as I figure it's better to use SQL servers internal function than assume Datetime will always be a float:

SET @DateOnly = CAST(CONVERT(varchar,GetDate(),112) AS DATETIME)

SELECT @DateOnly

SET @DateOnly = CAST(CONVERT(varchar(10),GetDate(),121) AS DATETIME)

SELECT @DateOnly

• Adding an integer to your code works like DateAdd() as well.

• I've done pretty heavy testing on this. The DateAdd-DateDiff method has been the fastest, and has the advantage of being both backwards and forwards compatible.

The Int conversion has rounding issues and simply shouldn't be used.

The float conversion has problems with the new data types in SQL 2008, and thus isn't forwards compatible with that.

The string conversion is a performance killer (takes an average of 4-10 times as long as native date functions).

Conversion to Date is the fastest and is forwards compatible, but isn't backwards compatible.

In situations where backwards compatibility isn't an issue, conversion to Date is best. Where backwards compatibility might matter, the nested date function method is best.

Property of The Thread

• I was using Method 4, saw this post and was an immediate convert to Method 1 till I saw Method 3, the simplest yet, and as it turns out, the fastest!

But nothing beats the simplicity of TRUNC(sysdate) - a PL/SQL function I really miss.

• 0.25 should be 6AM, right? Not 4AM.

• Our inhouse method of doing this for today's date is:

DATEDIFF(d, 0, GETDATE())

or for a general date from the DB:

DATEDIFF(d, 0, DateField)

DATEDIFF may be more expensive, but is it more expensive than "CAST(FLOOR(CAST("?

• For what its worth.... from my 'T-SQL Shortcuts' scripts I found the following:

/*Per SQL GURU Itzah-Ben Gah the fastest way to extract the date portion of a DateTime value is:*/

SELECT CONVERT(DATETIME,Floor(Convert(FLOAT, GetDate() ) ) )

I don't recall if Itzah was referring to a SQL Serve 2XXX specific platform or T-SQL in general and I did not note anything about specific SQL versions along with this shortcut.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • Am I the only one who noticed this error in the original article?

> with right section of the decimal point representing

> number of dates since 01-Jan-1900

"right section of the decimal point" should read either "left of the decimal point" or "whole number portion."

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply