Fuzzy Logic

• Hey All,

Any experts out there that can speak to Fuzzy logic improvements or changes in SQL Server since 2008 R2? I can't find anything that mentions improvements.

“Fuzziness is an art that strives to become a science but often loses its way through the hazy clouds” – JT

J

John Zacharkan

• In a word, no. Not in SQL Server itself. Lots of code out there, though.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• As Jeff implies, fuzzy logic is something you build yourself in your queries (or sometimes within the application tools that actually make use of those queries) rather than it being an in-built feature of SQL Server itself.

There's heaps of advice "out there" about it: use your Googlefu.

However, there is one overriding principle to bear in mind:-

By its very nature, fuzzy logic uses "LIKE", wildcards and other intensive querying methods. There is always a decision to be made around how powerful you want a query to be and how much server resource it will take up.

You need to decide how limited or precise you wish the results to be, meaning that you may have to come up with multiple queries that return similar things, but with a degree of accuracy that is chosen on a "sliding scale" by the user on the other side of the glass.

An application I recently helped out with, me building the SQL Server back end and my co-worker building a browser-based front end application, had us writing and calling queries based on names, addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, account numbers and products.

A "new" customer could wander in to a branch and start expressing an interest in some of the organisation's services, but as they reveal more and more of their personal data it becomes apparent that they are in fact an existing customer with a lapsed account.

It's an exciting area to be working in, and one which I really enjoyed.

Good luck with your search.

• zach_john (3/6/2015)

Hey All,

Any experts out there that can speak to Fuzzy logic improvements or changes in SQL Server since 2008 R2? I can't find anything that mentions improvements.

“Fuzziness is an art that strives to become a science but often loses its way through the hazy clouds” – JT

J

Quick thought, cannot say I've seen any noticeable improvement with the SSIS Fuzzy components.

😎

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply